• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

deleting services..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi. Is it possible to delete a service from services.msc completely? I don't mean just "disable", I mean get it off the list.

The problem is I installed the Folding @ Home console a few times and told it to install as a service. But I made a few mistakes before I got it right, so now I am stuck with about 5 instances of folding in my services. I disabled them all, but I would really prefer to get rid of them completely, they are just wasting my space, and make it harder for me to find the Folding service I really want when I go there, since they are all bunched together but only two (dual-core) are actually good.

Thanx for the info.

Open Services (Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Scroll down to and double click the service you want to get rid of | On the 'General' tab take note of the Service Name, and not the Display Name | Close Services.

Then open a command prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | Type sc delete <service name> ...then hit ENTER, and reboot. You could also delete the Service by deleting the specific key in the registry ( Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services

Locate the particular Service key in the LH pane, delete it and reboot.

Back