• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

firewall - nvidia specific

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Anyone know where I can find a good guide to learn about firewalls and how to use them properly?

Specifically, I have this firewall that came with my Ultra-D mobo, its called the Nvidia Firewall. RIght now its just setup as "anti-hacking" but I'd like to utilize it more.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to refuse internet connections to certain programs (exe files), and to allow others to go through the firewall without any problems (such as torrents).

I know these are simple questions but I just have no clue about firewalls.

Should I just forget about the nvidia firewall (uninstall it) and install a third party one or maybe just use the windows firewall? If so, how do I do the above?

EDIT: sorry for posting here instead of "APPS" section. If a mod wants to move this, fell free, it may even be better for me and the responses I get.

Last edited:
Specifically, I have this firewall that came with my Ultra-D mobo, its called the Nvidia Firewall. RIght now its just setup as "anti-hacking" but I'd like to utilize it more.
You can find out all about the ActiveArmor firewall by downloading the Technical Brief from nVidia's site here...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/security.html

You may also want to read the Networking and Firewall Administrator's Guide, available at the same site... both downloadable in a PDF format.
Anyone know where I can find a good guide to learn about firewalls and how to use them properly?
For starters, check out this Howstuffworks "How Firewalls Work" article...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

Zonealarm is generally a solid firewall that works similarly.

Frankly, aside from monitoring (receiving notification) of applications trying to 'dial out', you don't need much more than windows firewall if you're already behind a hardware firewall (router). Just my $0.02

I have no active firewall running in windows right now. I also don't frequently download apps or visit sites that warrant me being concerned about getting trojans or worms. I tell customers that unless you have enemies, a lot of the security software on the market feeds into people's fears, insecurities, and ignorance. It's hype.

Unfortunately too many people fail to follow basic safe surfing practices and download every cutesie app they come across, most of them being adware laden.

No lie, I had a grown man of reasonable intelligence tell me not to uninstall Bonzi Buddy because "Bonzi Buddy talks to me".

Here's your sign. I gladly accept money when someone brings in a computer with 20,000 traces of adware on it. I also send them home with a better understanding of their computer and some software to try and prevent it from occurring again. It usually isn't an issue until it hits the bank account, then something is done about it.

Last edited:
I understand. I have never used a firewall or any virus checkers for the last 15 years since I've been a heavy computer enthusiast. Even back in the days of virus release groups when I collected viruses and had over 10,000 I never worried about it, and I still don't. Anyone with any common network sense has nothing to worry about except by a directed malicious attack, but those are very rare as you have to **** someone off.

The reason why I need to learn the firewall because there are times where I don't want a piece of software to contact the internet. I really hate to disconnect my network because I need to reboot my computer in order to get it back, and you know how much we all hate reboots (I literally do it once in a blue moon).

But anyhow, I spent some time learning yesterday and now I am on top of it, at least the Windows Firewall. Its blocking the software I need it to block.

Thanx for all the info guys! I might use the Nvidia firewall since it comes with the Ultra-D mobo, so why not, and it seems quite a bit more advanced then the Windows Firewall. I could be wrong here.

Would anyone recommend me using the Nvidia firewall instead of the XP one? I did try the Nvidia firewall and had it set as only anti-hacking, but it was a waste of time anyway.

If you can get it to work properly, it does seem like a good piece of software. I ran into an issue with it messing up my downloads though. If it works ok for you, I would recommend using it based on what features it offers over Microsofts, (I like extra features).

RD_Falcon, would it make most of your downloads corrupt? Because im having the same problem at the moment, I may try another firewall and see.

yes, all of my downloads would be corrupt. Just to let you know, you have to completely uninstall the firewall before you can download without any corrupt data. I cant remember off the top of my head if you have to uninstall the motherboard forceware or not to uninstall the firewall. If the firewall is in the add remove programs you can do that, otherwise you may have to uninstall the forceware and reinstall that without installing the firewall when prompted.

I run the nvidia firewall and it does corrupt downloads, but when im downloading i turn on zonealrm and turn off nvidia

nvidia is a really good firewall once you learn how to use it

but rcillig what settings do you have it on that it doesnt corrupt downloads?

Back