• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Validation or Purchase help ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RDWest2005

Hey guys,
I know this aint the place to talk about xp hacked.
But...
I need some advice here.
I run an original xp pro of 2001 without any service packs.
I have to install and go do updates etc.
I can't get in right now - nuff said.

I was looking at options of buying a real copy of xp pro since I run a sli rig.
I need to stay up to date etc without the hastle of MS fixing the hacks.

At tigerdirect, there is a OEM version of xp pro for like 169bucks.

are there any pros: cons: i need to know about?
I have built my own rigs part by part.

Which copy of xp do I need to buy?
One thats legal and cd key is valid etc.

TX,
~R

RDWest2005 said:
I can't get in right now - nuff said.

Which copy of xp do I need to buy?
One thats legal and cd key is valid etc.~R
Been there, done that.
The cheapest full install you can find (with a valid Ser. No., of course).
Retail/OEM is just where you take it if it's broken.

You need to consider if your ever going to make major changes to your system before deciding on OEM or Retail. With retail you buy a license to use one copy of the os on one machine of your choice and can change the machine, with OEM you buy the right to use the os on one machine only. I bought reteail and have made major upgrades including mother boards and everything else and have never had any problems.
You might want to look into an upgrade version if you have any other legit windows like 98, ME or 2000, Ussually cheaper and all you have to do is during the installation when it asks for you previous version put in the dsik from the older version and away you go. Be careful of e-bay lately there have been a lot of pirated copies going around it seems.

OEM is tied to one "system" once installed. Retail can be transfered from "system" to "system" and is not tied to one machine once installed. I bought a reatil copy of XP pro for $130 on ebay about 2 months ago or so. I'd say keep an eye out for a retail copy on ebay if you can wait/don't plan on upgrading to Vista once it is released.

(Prices are listed from Best Buy)
Retail XP PRO full = ~$300
Retail XP Home Full = ~$200
Retail XP Pro upgrade = ~$250
Retail XP Home upgrade = ~$150

Buy the retail version in order to avoid any activation problems if you ever upgrade your system. As mentioned above, oem versions are tied to one system only.

actually all windows systems are tied to the hardware, to turn off the validation error in windows update, you just turn off the add on for genuine advantage tool. got explorer, tools, options>programs>manage addons> then turn off the genuine advantage service. For those of us who have legit copies and just don't want to send microsoft additional info.

bigemike said:
actually all windows systems are tied to the hardware,
Actually that is wrong. OEM is tied to the machine it is first installed on, it can not be moved to another machine EVER. If that machine dies, so does your license. RETAIL can be moved from machine to machine as much as you like, it can obviously only be installed on one machine at a time however.

Because of those people that are running an illegal copy of XP, the rest of us that legally purchased the OS have to suffer with the whole activation/validation process. These same people that obtained the OS illegally, that have been running it for months or even years, now complain because they can't update their systems with the latest critical updates available from the WU site... and that they now have to actually purchase a legal copy of the OS in order to stay up to date. They also complain about the fact that they can't download software from the MS site, without having to go through the validation process... and of course failing the validation because of the fact their illegal copy of XP has never been activated.

So now, thanks to all these folks that are running illegal copies of MS software, I (along with millions of other folks) get to sit on the phone with a MS representative for between five and ten minutes after every reinstall of the OS, and after major (sometimes even minor) hardware changes to our PC's.

That might be what is said but I have known people with retail icenses that have had to purchase another copy for a hardware change in the last 6 months, microsoft has changed thier licensing authorization procedure. I think it is BS and very unfair, and as far as I am concerned as long as you have a sticker on machine you should be good, but the simple fact is that no license is transferable between machines, if you don't have some transfered hardware to tie the license to then the retail license is not able to be moved. basically you can't change the board and harddrive in any machinie and have that license still be authorized by microsoft. This is a recent change, and like I said BS.

14. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the Software and all of its component parts.

with this cluase, if you have done alot of re-installs, and change hardware alot Microsoft has the ability to terminate your license agreement. They do this by whatever means, My one freind didn't have answer and the other said that microsoft belived that the license was installed on more than one machine. But both machines needed new coa's. One of the guys did eventually get his reactivated, but had to send microsoft a picture of the coa.

With that said what is the real world reason to actually have this guy buy a retail version. You have just as good of a chance of re-activating and oem license as you do a retail license after a hardware change. Like I said it is a case by case decision by microsoft to re activate your windows after a hardware change. With the OEM License, you only have to keep 1 piece of hardware with the license. there are alot of companies that will sell you a cd rom audio cable for a penny when you buy an oem version. I know that is being kinda technical, but you do have a piece of hardware that is tied to the coa.

Retail version of XP is an extremely high mark up item that makes Bill smile everytime someone buys it. Like I said as long as some of your hardware stays the same your pc license is still alive.

I am not trying to start a war here, I am just explaining what I have seen in real life with these licensing issues.

I have never had a hassle with MS over activation and I do it often on multiple machines.

To the orignal poster if the machine is old and you may be upgrading the hardware soon, I would recommend the retail version so you can take it with you. bigmike is correct, sorta, that MS can cancel any license, but they don't allow OEM license to transfer. About the only time it can happen is when there is a hardware failure that requires a MB replacement. The problem is, like people that pirate the OS in the first place, people have abused this 'loophole' so much I believe MS will soon close it so when the board the OEM is tied to, so does the license.

I only had one issue with activation. All it took was talking to a rep, all was good. I did have a Debian install disk ready just incase I was screwed. I really didn't intend on buying a second OS for the same computer.

This happened right after I was on a major upgrade session. It took about 5 minutes of my time and was kind of funny. Since I gave the same accent right back to the rep. I guess they have the same trouble understanding me as I do them. Word of advice, don't call MS drunk. lol

BulldogMcC said:
The MS service rep was drunk? :)

No I was, and was rather rude. I still got my key to activate. They could of been tools right back.

Back