• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 95b On 800 Mhz Athlon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duneadan

Hi,

I want to make a legacy computer with Windows 95b and my ancient Slot A AMD Athlon, on my even more ancient MSI K7-Pro motherboard.

I this possible? If so, how?

Thanks for your help!

Partition and format the harddrive using fdisk, load windows (if using a windows 95 cd you may need a cd rom bootable floppy, try the 98se boot floppy found online). You'll have something of a hard time finding drivers but driverguide has a ton of legacy drivers.

Win95 will run fine, try loading your sound drivers in dos so you can play games like:
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis (All Time Favourite of mine)

I Love Legacy Computers.

yeah 95 is so dated, honestly you'de be better with 98se, but it is your choice, you can probably run all the legacy stuff u want even in 98

Yeah I would say got 98se but thats just me. As for running it like thye said just fdisk it and install. If you wanted though you could even duel boot it with a copy of XP, I had xp on an old 866 mhz pc with 384 ram and it ran fine for the most part.

Get 98se. My first computer with a Pentium 66 could run 95b, so an 800mhz Athlon should have no problem with 98se.

I doubt he's looking to run 95 because of hardware limitations, you can easily tun xp to run on a P2 300 with 128mb of ram.

Go for it!

Duneadan said:
I want to make a legacy computer with Windows 95b and my ancient Slot A AMD Athlon, on my even more ancient MSI K7-Pro motherboard.

I{s} this possible? If so, how?
What's the problem? Plenty of those ran W95 OSR2 back when they were both common. Just do it!

:cool:

Easy maybe, but *SLOW* like a dying snail!

~(o)-(0)~ said:
I doubt he's looking to run 95 because of hardware limitations, you can easily tun xp to run on a P2 300 with 128mb of ram.
I suppose you mean "TUNE", not "tun", but when the system takes 3-5 minutes between splash screen and being ready to run, it just seems ridiculous.

:p

The Kiwi said:
I suppose you mean "TUNE", not "tun", but when the system takes 3-5 minutes between splash screen and being ready to run, it just seems ridiculous.

:p
have you done it? I had a XP Pro on a 266mhz P2 with 128mb of ram and it booted in a little less than 1:30 and was actually fairly responsive. I've even gotten it to boot at 133mhz with 96mb of ram!

Thats why I said 98se not XP as the primary boot. 98se and 95 would both be legacy computers and would both have most the old features he wants. If he really wanted just old he might as well go back beyond 95. Unless of course he already has the 95 disk, then just stick with it. (which in that case his question was answered already I believe.)

Thanks guys. To answer your questions:

I want to run 95b so that I can play some of my legacy games that will not run on Win98se.

I can make that work on my nforce athlon xp 2500 system with no problem. I cannot get windows 95 to work on that system for all the money in the world. Not even with the k6 patch from microsoft.

That is also a problem since the nforce conflicts with the legacy drivers for my sound blaster. Hence, I cannot get the sound to work in dos mode or for dos games in windows mode.

I know that windows 98se will work on this machine. But it will not allow me to play some of those really old games. I'd be even happier if I could get my hands on an old copy of dos.

I want 95b (and have a copy of it) to work so that I can use the k6 patch if needed.

Last edited:
Yes, I am running it, and Decent as we speak. Give me your specs though, and we can see if it is a viable option. You will have to set the cycles variable according to how fast your cpu is.

Back