• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

myregfix.com?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shetawk

Registered
Am setting up new computer and get popup saying my registry is corrupt and to go to this website and download fix.

Is not signed by Microsoft.

Doesn't sound good, but then, I'm not an expert.

Is this a scam or legit? Thank you. :confused:

I am going to say Its the Windows Messaging service. Just go to run and type services.msc and find messanger, then hit stop and disable it from startup.

messenger

Thank you. Just did the services.msc and am waiting to see whether I get any more popups. Already downloaded, installed and ran avast and spybot.

What is the difference between spybot and adaware? Do I need both?

Tucows.com has another program w/4 stars, Spyware Doctor 3.2. Anyone ever try it? Would it do both?

Would like to do as much as possible with few programs so there is less chance of conflict since I'm not a computer genius. Thank you. L

Last edited:
shetawk said:
Thank you. Just did the services.msc and am waiting to see whether I get any more popups. Already downloaded, installed and ran avast and spybot.

What is the difference between spybot and adaware? Do I need both?

Tucows.com has another program w/4 stars, Spyware Doctor 3.2. Anyone ever try it? Would it do both?

Would like to do as much as possible with few programs so there is less chance of conflict since I'm not a computer genius. Thank you. L

When cleaning spyware off of my computer I use 3 spyware removers; Adaware, spybot, and MS spyware remover. I use three to ensure everything (or close to eveything) is removed.

The only things that AdAware has ever found on my system have been cookies, so I don't even install it anymore. The programs I run are Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, and sometimes Windows Defender...

Windows Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html

SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

... and if you're running XP, upgrading to SP2 automatically disables the Messenger service.

I saw this garbage every time XP started up when I was reinstalling XP (4X) but it went away when SP2 was applied. It IS coming from the messenger. I uninstalled the MSN messenger.

Close the messenger
click -start-run
paste the next line in and press ok
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

FudgeNuggets said:
I saw this garbage every time XP started up when I was reinstalling XP (4X) but it went away when SP2 was applied. It IS coming from the messenger. I uninstalled the MSN messenger.

Close the messenger
click -start-run
paste the next line in and press ok
MSN Messenger and the 'Messenger' service are two completely different things.

Messenger & OOO

Thank you. This did it.... no more "notices" from the ethers.... :clap: :thup:

BTW, anyone have experience with OOO, alternate MS office?

Can I use it with XP? Thank you. L

redduc900 said:
The only things that AdAware has ever found on my system have been cookies, so I don't even install it anymore.

I agree, same thing here. I used to love Ad-aware, I still support it, but it's not the same great spyware catcher that it once was. Seemed to change once they started "selling" a professional version. :-/

Also, did you install SP2 (service pack 2) for Windows Xp?

Back