• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow boot/shutdown - Explorer illegal operation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

panda

Registered
Okay so i just installed my new hardware (Asrock 939 dual-sata2, AMD64 3700+ san diego, 160 gb samsung SATA2 hdd).

After that i installed windows and experienced really fast boot times and that.

But then i had some problems with different motherboard issues and stuff, so i had to reinstall and so on.

Later i experience that my windows boots kinda slow, like approximately as slow as my old Soltek SL-75FRN-L + barton 2500+ + 120 gb IDE hdd.

So i see the reason why it shuts down slowly is that "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." and it is explorer that makes that problem.

So what should i do?

(It's a windows xp cd with slipstreamed sp2 i used)
(I am sorry if: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." is'nt well translated, i only know the danish definition ;))

Hmmm, what software is running on your sys? Must not be wanting to shut down.

Open Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click a couple of the newest crtical errors you've received (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Copy and paste (use the "Copy to Clipboard" button under the arrow butons in the Event Properties" window) a couple of the latest critical error messages as they appear under the "Description" field, and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

redduc900 said:
Open Event Viewer (in order to access the error logs, and check for any critical errors)...Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc and click OK | Highlight "Application" and "System" independently in the LH pane | Right click a couple of the newest crtical errors you've received (critical errors are in Red), and select "Properties" | Copy and paste (use the "Copy to Clipboard" button under the arrow butons in the Event Properties" window) a couple of the latest critical error messages as they appear under the "Description" field, and post them in this thread.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.
Ill do that and return later today. Should i contact you on msn?

This problem occurs lots of times:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This one is once:
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000368' while processing the file '2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a' on the volume 'Hardd .. lume4'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Lastly:
The time service has detected that the system time needs to be changed by +3008413 seconds. The time service will not change the system time by more than +54000 seconds. Verify that your time and time zone are correct, and that the time source time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|192.168.1.106:123->207.46.130.100:123) is working properly.

infini said:
Hmmm, what software is running on your sys? Must not be wanting to shut down.
MSN Live messenger
IRC
Steam
Winamp agent
Symantec Corp

Oh god Symantec. I think continuing to look into what redduc900 is very specific and would probubly be more helpfull than anything I could say.

Can you post your PC specs for us please? It always helps when needing technical help.

To these layman's eyes here, it appears that System Restore isn't monitoring your hard drive anymore (for some reason), and that whatever it is on 'IdePort1' is timing out or not responding when Windows expects it to respond (for a possibly related reason).

I've had trouble with Symantec programs (significant trouble, in fact) at shutdown, often, they do not properly relinquish control, or take an inordinate amount of time to button themselves down. If your explorer is wedging itself, it's possible, too, that you've either corrupted your Windows install (sorry) or caught a virus/trojan from somewhere.

The usual things--check the integrity of your disks, run whatever virus-checking software you have with the latest updates as is possible, etc.--all apply.

Ok, from a "Laymen's" view. I would delete Symantec alltogether. Even the left over files :) I use AVG, it's free and does the job well. You will notice a really big prefomance difference in windows once it's all gone. McAfee and Sym are resource hogs and could care less about the user in my opinion.

The HD info Captain Newbie talked about was new info to me. Good to know :) I would follow up on this info.

infini said:
Ok, from a "Laymen's" view. I would delete Symantec alltogether. Even the left over files :) I use AVG, it's free and does the job well. You will notice a really big prefomance difference in windows once it's all gone. McAfee and Sym are resource hogs and could care less about the user in my opinion.

The HD info Captain Newbie talked about was new info to me. Good to know :) I would follow up on this info.
Symantec offers some very potentially dangerous tools to completely, safely, and utterly remove Norton Anti-Virus products. (Note: DO NOT LEAVE THESE TOOLS SITTING ON YOUR HARD DRIVE...especially if you like having virus protection.) Using those tools you can safely and completely remove your NAV, right down to the .dlls and registry keys.

(Don't leave 'em lying around, as it's not beyond the capability of a malicious program to potentially execute them.)

Specs:
AsRock 939 dual-sata2 @ Bios rev1.6
AMD 3700+ San diego
2x512 Performance PC2700 RAM
SATA2 Samsung 160gb running sata mode@strong
Maxtor Diamond 120gb IDE (just for storage)
DVD drive
CD burner
Raidmax Viking power 450W power supply
Sparkle GeForce 6800 GT

So what i should do is to do a clean windows installation, and NOT install sym?

And what is the problem that occurs in the IdePort1?
(My maxtor diamond, which had some problems in my other computer, is sitting in IDE1 primary) Could be that?

I have not gone the Sata way yet even though I have 4 I can put on my mobo :0 can't help there. But NO! you don't need to do a fresh install :) I would just uninstall Sym, look for leftover files by Sym and delete those. I use AVG (link) and prob Zone Alarm or whatever else suits you for the Firewall.

JUST A THOUGHT: things might have changed with Symantec and maybe you do need a special un-install but I would not know. I don;t think so.

Allrighty, ill try that i geuss.
But the IDE problem, is?

\Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.This is not good.Like redduc900 said run the diagnostic software and check all connections to that drive.Beware of all inline connectors, move them around with the side off to be sure there is no power short and listen for drive restarting.A drive starting and stoping will damage the hard drive and corrupt files.If you cannot find a shorting connector, remove the inlines from the chain that the drive is on and move them elsewhere.
If the drive is dying, the diag software should find it out.

I had that error about a month ago on my machine. When I was moving my drives around. I somehow pinched my cable. I tried a spare cable and the issue went away. I didn't even notice I pinched the cable until I looked real close at it.

As soon as i am home today ill try all of what youve said :)
Ill return with the results later today, hope you will stay tuned ;)

And thanks :)

Back