• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial memory SDRAM sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkyTechnician

I just added a stick of Crucial 256 MB SDRAM and noticed a couple of things.

1. They changed the manufacturing process b/c the stick of Crucial I bought in March is about 1/2 an inch bigger than the new one. Anyone know the reason why?

2. Why does 98SE detect 511MB instead of 512? Its not important at all and I really don't think it's a big deal but just curious.

That is actually the only reason that I bought the extra stick. I know 98 doesn't really make use of any more than 256or make a difference in performance unless you are doing Photoshop, digital video or audio editing.

I plan on getting XP Professional in the next week so I bought this extra stick.

FunkyTechnician said:
I just added a stick of Crucial 256 MB SDRAM and noticed a couple of things.

1. They changed the manufacturing process b/c the stick of Crucial I bought in March is about 1/2 an inch bigger than the new one. Anyone know the reason why?

2. Why does 98SE detect 511MB instead of 512? Its not important at all and I really don't think it's a big deal but just curious.

Have you tried asking Crucial? Smaller might just be better as the traces are shorter. Less capacitance = higher performance usually. Did you try it on another machine to see if it's ok?
funnyperson1 said:
i dunno, but Win98 doesnt use more than 256 megs......you should get 2000 or XP
W98SE actually has a limit of 512MB if the vcache min & max are not modified. If you change these settings,vcache min & max, you CAN actually use up to 1GB of physical memory. If you do any sort of photo or movie editing then it'll be a noticable improvement when you work with files that are a couple of hundred megs.

Last edited:
W98SE actually has a limit of 512MB if the vcache min & max are not modified. If you change these settings,vcache min & max, you CAN actually use up to 1GB of physical memory. If you do any sort of photo or movie editing then it'll be a noticable improvement when you work with files that are a couple of hundred megs.
and how would i go about doing that? :)

BigRed said:

and how would i go about doing that? :)
Check here about it. I think this is a better solution than fiddling with just the vcache settings. Go here & download Cache Booster so you can change the vcache on the fly.

Back