• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What server software should i run?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I've got a network of 5 wired and 1 wireless computers running xp pro with a cable internet connection. I'm interested in setting up a server mainly just for fun and a learning experience. I've got my 3 kids on the network and i would like to limit downloads and internet access at certain times if possible.

I was looking for some advice as to which software i should run for the server? Again i don't have a specific agenda for the server, just for knowledge and a little more control over the computers in my house. Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

W2k server would be fine. If you wanted to get creative with GPO's you would need to install gpmc on an XP machine an administer from there... like limiting internet etc, etc.

Defenitely go with a Windows 2000 or 2003 server if that is what you want to do. SBS might even be a good solution if you wanted to play around with Exchange.

No matter what you choose you would need an older PC to run the server OS on, and do nothing else. At least if you want to do it the right way, but the PC doesn't need to be anything spectacular. This will allow you full control over what everybody does on the network, at least with proper administration.

If you want something cheaper, a bit more difficult to impement, and without the fine control over users look into using Linux as a PDC for a Windows network.

I think SBS 2003 will be ideal if you're stepping into teh server world. It got lot of features in Wizard driven. And also guess what you'll get Exchange freely. If you're not in a hurry download the trial version (SBS2003 Premium) which got ISA 2004. I's always better to test with a trial version if ya want to get yor hands dirty and learn it. After that it's upto you to buy the full version :santa:

if you are interested in hosting webpages too i suggest installing and learning how to use apache. very stable and it can be a good thing to know if you work in or want to work in IT or network administration. i love apache.

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I have a few computers to choose from to run the server,I have a 500MHz Pentium, 750MHz Pentium, 1.2GHz Duron and an Athlon xp 1.67GHz and a bunch of Pentium II's but i think i'm leaning towards the 500MHz machine.

If all goes well i'm hoping to get it up and running this weekend.

Back