• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Genuine Advantage now mandatory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I just connected to Windows Update, and it downloaded the Genuine Advantage thing again (KB920130 or something like that). I assumed it was just an update, because it's done it before, and I disabled it again after it downloaded the previous time. This time, it said under "manage add-ons" that 'This add-on is managed by your administrator.' So I logged on as Administrator, and get 'This add-on is managed by your administrator.' So unless there's an Admin above Admin, I get the feeling they've made it mandatory.

They have included it as a software update and a needed thing for XP now like for example Windows Installer 3.1 it's basic to let MS know that your copy of XP is legit. You can get security without it but when it comes to software like Windows Media Player 10 etc you'll need to certifiy that XP is a proper copy.

Sometimes they update the version of the WGA tool I had to download one with the last batch of updates.

Funny thing is, if you leave "Automatic Updates" on, it will install the critical updates and security patches before validating OR activating XP (at least it did about 2 months ago). Otherwise, if you goto Windows Update and you are not activated, you will not get the updates (you will fail Validation if not activated)...

Odd :cool:

Microsoft said they wasn't going to disable critical update for people without legit copies of windows.

If you don't want to go with the genuine advantage thing (or can't, lol), you can go with autopatcher. It has all the fixes in one rolled package. It's great for setting up reinstalls when on dialup.

I believe Petteyg359 is asking if the genuine advantage can be disabled with the latest update. I honestly do not know, but I can tell you a work around. Do a system restore and go back to before the recent update. Then copy the Javescript line located here and paste it to the windows update toolbar. Hit enter and then proceed with your updates. This may bypass getting the GA tool reloaded on your system. Good luck with it.

If you're not running a warez copy of XP, then what's the purpose of disallowing install of or disabling the WGA tool?

If I wasn't a gamer, I wouldn't need windows at all. Doh! Everything I have is legit, but damn it's annoying, if not in practice (auto updates etc helps) then in principle.

Back