• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Permissions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

File Permissions?

I have had Speed Disk by norton for years.I installed Diskeeper trialware to see if it was better,well it wasn't so I uninstalled it.Somehow I beleive that it disabled my Speed disk as it will not defrag my C: drive anymore.It will freeze at sorting with cpu usage at 100% untill I reboot even if it is closed.I found this in the event veiwer."Event Type: Information
Event Source: Diskeeper
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 3/5/2006
Time: 9:48:38 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OVERCLOCKED
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 26 ) in Source ( Diskeeper ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: C:

0 files were skipped because they could not be opened.
1 files were skipped because they were on the exclusion list.

The most common reason Diskeeper cannot open files is because the permissions on the files are set to deny the SYSTEM logon full control.

First 1 file(s) skipped:
\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ntoskrnl.exe [Excluded]

Note: A file appears on this list only if it could have been moved, but had to be skipped."
I tried uninstalling ,reinstalling and even an older version but all still react the same.Any idea how to fix this?

Last edited:
Re: Diskeeper not moving or defragmenting ntoskrnl.exe, and the related event...

Diskeeper won't move some files no matter what I do. Is there a problem with Diskeeper?
http://smallbiz.execsoft.com/support/diskeeperfaq.asp?RId=1&CId=1&SId=1
The files "boot.ini", "NTdetect.com", "NTLDR", and "NTOSKRNL.EXE" are not moved or defragmented to ensure that your system remains bootable (moving these files to higher locations on a disk can render a system unbootable). There is information in the Microsoft Knowledge Base about why the location of these files is critical.
If it turns out to be a permissions problem, there's also instructions in the above article on how to modify them accordingly.

Yea, it doesn't seem to be anything to do with permissions as far as I can tell.It is just strange that it can defrag all the drives except C.It only happened after I uninstalled Diskeeper and tried to use Speed Disk again.Also windows defrag works but it doesn't do as good of a job.I might try a repair install later or use my backup images as they are only about two weeks old.

Back