• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a server using windows 2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I'm setting up a server on my home network of 7 computers running xp pro with a broadband internet connection. I'm setting up the server on a PIII 500MHz box and I'm stuck on a few settings, I'm very green to the whole server side of computers.

I installed windows 2000 server and going through the configuration i got to the "New Domain Name, NetBios Domain Name, Database and log locations, shared system volume, and configure DNS." I'm not sure about any of these settings, can someone shed some light on this or recommend a good book "Servers for Dummies" on servers? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :)

Well a book, or any other reference is always a good starting point. My advice would be to just play around with it and see what works, and what doesn't. I think you are doing this essentially to learn more about servers, right? And you are setting it up on a home network. So if you screw up something on the server just learn from that. I think there is a lot more to be learned from finding why something isn't working, and how to fix it, than to just follow some book blindly.

Back