• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shortcut to launch a service?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

There's a particular service that needs to be running for me to use one of my programs, it's called CrypServ.exe - its a licensing thingy.

However, I don't want to have it running all the time. Does anyone know of a way to make a shortcut that I can stick in my start menu which will launch this service? Or even better, one which will launch this service then launch the program which relies on it...

Thanks.

you could create a batch file.

Look here for the service name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Services key

the syntax for the starting/stopping of services is:

net start servicename
net stop servicename

"servicename", if quotes are used, can be what is shown in services.msc. If that makes it any easier for you.

Excellent, I'm gonna give that a shot - thanks.

Edit: Okay, I got the starting/stopping working just fine - but I am not familiar with batch files really... What would I stick in it after the:

net start "Service"

bit in order to get the program to launch? Do I just put in the program's path?

The name of the service that you see in services.msc

At the command prompt, you can also just do a "net start" to see the services that are running and the associated name.

If the service is registered with Windows, then you don't need to do the path. The path is really only for launching exe's that aren't in the "PATH" variable.

In your case, since you need to launch a service, then the exe, you could put them both into the batch file.

net start "servicename"

path to Crpyserv.exe.

If there's spaces in the path to Crypserv.exe, then you should use quotes as well.

I think this is what you are asking?

I think we have our lines a bit crossed, there is a certain application which relies on this service. I want to start the service then run the program, this is what I have so far:

Code:
net start "CrypKey License"

I then need a line to launch the program, located at M:\UKInfo\ukid.exe

Hope that's clearer. I just don't like to have things running when I'm not using them, it might be a bit unnecessary but I like to keep a tidy computer.

That's what i thought you had meant.

You would start the service first with the net start. Then you put the command to run the .exe after.

Sorry, what I am not sure about is what to put in the next line to start the exe - if there's a certain command or just to put the path to it.

Back