• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My OEM XP Pro CD Might Be Damage What To Do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I was re-installing my copy of XP Pro last thursday and dropped it on my floor my bedroom is laminate flooring. But as I picked it up I seemed to of lightly made a small scratch mark on it I have just done a Scan Disk test with Nero and it says 95% is good while 4.9% is damaged.

Now I haven't got a spare system to see if it is damaged during say installation of a fresh install. I hope it isn't what I can do about I know I can't make a copy as it's against the law so I suppose I'll have to buy a new copy.

You could try calling MS and explaining the situation to them. Since you do own a legitimate key, they might send you a CD. Worth a try.

AngelfireUk83 said:
I was re-installing my copy of XP Pro last thursday and dropped it on my floor my bedroom is laminate flooring. But as I picked it up I seemed to of lightly made a small scratch mark on it I have just done a Scan Disk test with Nero and it says 95% is good while 4.9% is damaged.

Now I haven't got a spare system to see if it is damaged during say installation of a fresh install. I hope it isn't what I can do about I know I can't make a copy as it's against the law so I suppose I'll have to buy a new copy.

You're allowed to make a single copy.

MS EULA said:
1.6 Back-up Copy. YOU MAY MAKE A SINGLE
BACK-UP COPY OF THE SOFTWARE.
YOU MAY USE ONE (1) BACK-UP
COPY SOLELY FOR YOUR ARCHIVAL
PURPOSES AND TO REINSTALL THE
SOFTWARE ON THE COMPUTER.
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED
IN THIS EULA OR BY LOCAL LAW,
YOU MAY NOT OTHERWISE MAKE
COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING
THE PRINTED MATERIALS ACCOMPANYING
THE SOFTWARE. YOU MAY NOT
LOAN, RENT, LEASE, LEND OR
OTHERWISE TRANSFER THE CD OR
BACK-UP COPY TO ANOTHER USER.

If you get a new CD - take the advice and copy it to your HD or to CD-R. That is the first thing I did with mine...

You can try to copy your current CD to your HD (save as a bootable ISO), and burn a new copy. Sometimes that helps just enough.

:cool:

Goto Radio Shack, the sell scratch remove called NOVUS. This stuff is the BOMB on CD's. I use it all the time to repair cd's. Orignally I found it at work to clean covers and remove fine scratches and I have to tell you this stuff works GREAT!!! It comes in two versions..

1) Fine scratch remover
2) Deep scratch remover

I've only use #1 and that's all that I've found to need.
HTH

Every time I copy something(for a PERSONAL backup) with nero, it seems to fix any errors the disc may have. There's also a bunch of ISO recovery software you could use that can read even with scratches, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, as I haven't needed to use any in a while.

Robbie said:
Goto Radio Shack, the sell scratch remove called NOVUS. This stuff is the BOMB on CD's. I use it all the time to repair cd's. Orignally I found it at work to clean covers and remove fine scratches and I have to tell you this stuff works GREAT!!! It comes in two versions..

1) Fine scratch remover
2) Deep scratch remover

I've only use #1 and that's all that I've found to need.
HTH

Don't these just make CD's "Readable", not necesarrily "Error Free"? For an OS - I don't think I would trust this methood. For an Audio CD - all day long. Try it and see. That is the only way to know.

:cool:

I tired to make back-up copy using Nero CD Copier but I made it copy to the HDD first then to disc. And it seemed to have worked after that I did a disc scan and it 100% good data but that's maybe because it's a fresh burned copy.

At least MS allow you to make a back-up copy anyways thank god.

Thanks for all your replys.

ive found cd,s in the street that were run over and made them work again.

just hit it with some heavy compound then medium or toothpaste works well lol car wax ect

basicaly polish it up

Back