• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Streaming video from my sat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordman

Hello

Im running a sat at home and want to use my 3rd system to stream video to all my other pcs so I dont miss my shows. What are your free ideas?

Fordman

Are you wanting to stream to other pcs that are in your house as well?
If so, I would just do a fileshare over your network.

Hello

Fileshare idots guide please or a basic description of it.
I can share anything over my network and run pgms to remote desktop. What I would like to do is run video card from pc #3 with tv input on pc #2 or any of them.

Fordman

Last edited:
If I am understanding you correctly, and you want to stream a video feed coming from your satellite to your PC, and then to the other PC's on your network, I would suggest for you to take a look at a program called VideoLAN Client (VLC). I haven't had the opportunity to try out this program myself, but you can take a look for yourself and see if it suits your needs.

More information on VLC can be found at:

Also, be sure to let us know how things work out.

Raven

That looks impressive, I've never seen anything like that before. I'll have to try that out as well, it'd be easier than having to rip on one rig then share to another if I want to watch in another room. I watch everything on my PCs now b/c I lost the remote for my tv lol.

sno.lcn said:
That looks impressive, I've never seen anything like that before. I'll have to try that out as well, it'd be easier than having to rip on one rig then share to another if I want to watch in another room. I watch everything on my PCs now b/c I lost the remote for my tv lol.

If it can do what it says it can do, then it's a great program. Officially, it is still in Beta stages, but looking over their progress report it looks like things are steadily moving forward, and that we should expect to see improvements every so often. Streaming across your LAN I would assume would take up a fair bit of network bandwidth, so just be sure you can deal with any slowdowns that might occur. Satellite, being a digital signal with higher quality sound, would take up more bandwidth than a standard movie clip as it has more information to pass through in the same amount of time.

I would try this program and just see how things go. If anything, you will be left with the experience of using a decent video player which is also cross-platform compatible, so you would be able to use it on different machines later on.

I think I'm going to have to try it out this weekend.

*Edit: I dl'd it and have been messing with it for a little while, and I can't seem to get it to work. It's streaming out fine, but I can't seem to find the stream from my other rig even though I told it to stream straight there.

Last edited:
Hello

When you can get it going let me know how so I can get mine going. Ill keep playing with it and I hope it will work the way it says.

Fordman

Back