• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long pause when opening a certain folder...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usp8riot

It is a folder that I keep on my desktop with shortcuts to all my games. It's about 25 shortcuts, nothing big. I don't see why my system couldn't handle a folder with that many shortcuts. Apparently it doesn't seem to take up much cpu resources, as I look in taskmanager and cpu % is unchanged. But the hard drive light stays on a lot of the time when accessing. Anyone else had this problem?

My computer also takes a sec to load certian folders depending on stuff like if it has a crap load of photos. May try doing a defrag with a good app like perfect disk or O&O. It could also be Windows trying to trace were all those shortcuts go to to save load time later on. Though as far as I know Windows does not do that.

Last edited:
Without knowing which OS you're running, I'll assume it's either XP or W2K. Open Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | 'View' tab | Scroll down to and uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)' | Open the folder you're having problems with, and make note of what other files (including the size of each) is contained within.

Also sometimes the antivirus might be scanning that folder everytime you open it, I know mine does that sometimes.

Back