• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I see everyone is familiar with DRM...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

I recently figured out why I cannot watch certain DVR-MS shows on my other computer or record them to Nero Vision. It's also a ***** b/c we're now unable to watch recorded HBO movies on our mediacenter because we just had to reformat it.

So, skipping all the details, I haven't had any respone from thegreenbutton, all I want to do is record a TV show onto a DVD so I can take it home and watch it with my parents, it's not even a movie. It's real ****ty to allow people to record live TV once and then say you can't record it onto another form of media, it's not like I want to keep it on my Hard Drive forever.

It's prolly a bit stupid to even ask, but has anyone found a way to remove the DRM content from a DVR-MS file?

I'm not 100% sure, but after a quick google search it seems the easiest thing to do maybe to convert it to a different filetype first and then transfer.

yea, I figured that was the case.

I feel like a senior citizen:
Hey, Sonny. Back in the 20th Century, we had devices called VCRs. You could record moving pictures on them, and not only that, you could take the tape out and actually watch it on another television.

This is such a *****. I guess I'll have to get the VCR out of my attic (LITERALLY), blow the dust off and see if I can just record it off the media center. Now I have to go out and buy a blank VHS.

HAHA, for the price of a blank VHS tape, I cracked Microsoft's DRM :santa:

edit: I sure hope they didn't encode the video with ARM (Analog Rights Management) :rolleyes:

tenchi86 said:
Honestly though we all hate it I think this falls under cracking and is not alllowed here. So you may not get to many replys.
Eh, could be.

But it comes down to a question of how much they can infringe on fair use before someone realizes "Hey, waiiiit a minute, we actually haven't IMPROVED anything with media lately..."

oh well, I guess I can't carry out my plan to mass reproduce Real Time with Bill Maher. I was sure going to make a fortune :rolleyes:

Trust me, it's a lose-lose situation.

I agree with the senior citizen comment. Although at 30 i'm probably closer than you. I really miss the days of recording tv onto vhs tapes, and music from the radio on a cassette tape. I've still got several tapes of music somewhere around here. Does that mean i am a music pirate? I mean come on, radio stations used to tell you to get the tape ready because a new song was about to come on. I miss the old days, but now you can go to jail or pay a huge fine if you rip a cd and send one song to a friend. It's gotten stupid. Is the RIAA going to charge someone millions of miles away who listens to our radio waves that go out into space? :rolleyes: :eek:

Just a note, you can still record live TV and live music no matter the protection. You just have to use something like a tv tuner with screen recorder or a sound recorder. Sop the VHS days can still very much be alive today, you just have to know how to fully use them.

Back