• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

two pumps or one? help with optimum setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
ok guys I was just curious what do you think... is having 2 d5's in the same loop worth it?

sorry for the bad drawings I suck at paint and just wanted to get the general idea across

componets to be cooled
775 cpu
Asus P5WD2-P
Chipset
7800gtx

watercooling gear so far

D5
6002-775
maze 4 chipset
maze 4 gpu
typhoon bay res
bip II
4 delta 7 volts
2 thermoflow temp fans

these were the setups I was thinking about with only one pump. Due to space constraints and a pet I cant have the rad outside the case

Attachments

• case 1.JPG
    case 1.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 85
  • case 2.JPG
    case 2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 55
if i got 2 pumps this is what I was thinking about

what does everyone think?
i'm open to suggestions

Attachments

• case 3.JPG
    case 3.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 58
  • case 4.JPG
    case 4.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 36
  • case.JPG
    case.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 42
There are many ways to do this, but personally I'd be inclined to eliminate the N/B block and just run one pump. Simple is better sometimes (and cheaper). I would run tubing this way: reservoir -> pump -> CPU block -> vid card block -> radiator. You could run to the GPU first and the CPU second if that uses less tubing and looks less cluttered.

Here is what mine looks like (I have a socket 775 too). Just imagine a vid card block and you have what I suggested above. Sorry, the pump is up front behind the harddrive cage, so it's out of sight. You have your rad up top, but with a Swiftech rad box you could mount it in the back like I have mine.

bat-watercooled-AW8.jpg

Last edited:
well from what I have read the premium's chipset uses the cpu hsf to cool itself... eliminated that would seem to me to be eliminating the air that it recieves.
As well I got the NB cooler for free so it didnt cost me anything.
As for the pump I can understand that. I had read that some people ran two pumps and didnt really know why they did that

thanks for the pic

I was aware of the swiftec kit but I am also aware that I have a ferret who will play with everything he can which is why I want everything tucked into the case itself where he cant get at it

if it helps
this is my case

antecpp1000amg1h.jpg

I am planning on modding the back outlets to 1X 120mm fan anyways as I have already done that to one of my other cases

thought about modding the intake as well but that would require the removal of one of my hard drive bays and I dont know if it is worth it

The order of the components isn't terribly important. Just go with the shortest route that has no tight bends.

I'm just guessing, but with those components, I'm not sure the second pump will help. The problem is that it dumps another 20W into the system and your CPU block doesn't show much imporovement over 1.5 PSI.
http://www.systemcooling.com/images/reviews/LiquidCooling/Swiftech_Storm/image22big.gif
None of your blocks are very restrictive, hence the single pump might be able to do just as well as a double.

OTOH, you might be able to turn the pumps down and run them more quietly if you use them both.

Ok, if you already have a N/B block, then go with it. No problem using one pump for the 3 blocks. Also no problem mounting the rad at the top of the case as long as you allow plenty of air flow through the rad. If that's what you are doing, then I'd probably route it like this: res -> pump -> N/B -> GPU -> CPU -> rad. That should provide the shortest amount of tubing.

ended up doing something rather unconventional to avoid kinking

pump-> gpu -> cpu -> N/B -> top mounted rad -> res

bleed your system completely and leak test with just the cooling inside the case and the case sitting so the fron is on the top because durring bleeding with rad at top is the worst you can do for bleeding.

after your system is completely bled then install everything. picture 2 that you attached would be best .

thanks for the advice on bleeding I never thought of that.
On day 2 of bleeding after flipping the case on its back like Thorilan suggested I havent seen any bubbles.
I am still waiting for the video card to show up so it will go through at least 72 hrs of bleed/leak testing before the system gets up

as for the tubing I couldnt do #2 because the tubing ended up being to tight and I dont have any cool sleeves and I used my last clamp to fix the kink between the cpu and the NB

pictures to follow later

switched things up due to improper tubing

it now goes

pump> chip> cpu> gpu> rad> res

got my camera but need to get some batteries now

Back