• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech ramsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
I got a MCW60 and it came with some ramsinks. Is there any reason to go with something else or stick with the stock copper ramsinks that came with it?

MC14-1X200.gif

Buy some thermal adhesive

I have the MCW60 and the ram blocks work great. Make sure you purchase some thermal adhesive to use instead of the pads that are attached to the blocks. I tried to use them and every single ram sink fell off within 24 hrs (8 total). Used a dremel and polished off the pads and replaced with some thermal adhesive and all is well.

I have the same block and all of my ram sinks fell off also, i just bought more thermal adhesive pads and they are fine now. I wouldn't recommend using a permanent epoxy though, unless you are keeping the card for ever.

P.S. Thats a nice rig your building there. :)

Yep, mine fell off too. The thermal tape they ship with is completely useless. Several websites sell strips of thermal tape you can use to replace it. However, the design of the ram sinks is excellent and they seem to do the trick.

I also had heard of the ram sinks falling off problem...But I read that if the thermal tape got heated..then they stuck much better

Sooo, I used a hair dryer to heat each pad for like 10-15 secs, then attached to ram on graphics card. I let them all dry for a couple hours, then mounted. Worked find, no problem at all...

The only problem I had was that the two sinks below the barbs for the GPU cooler would not fit because they were too tall. I tried to file them down, but it was taking forever and I was making very slow progress. So i used an old chipset heatsink and put it on both of the rams simultaneously... so far looks good

MoreGooder said:
Yep, mine fell off too. The thermal tape they ship with is completely useless. Several websites sell strips of thermal tape you can use to replace it. However, the design of the ram sinks is excellent and they seem to do the trick.

Thanks, bought some thermal tape off of toddm27 in the classifieds, will throw it on as soon as it gets here.

Thanks again guys.

Back