• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I do? watercool or upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

Ok so this is my problem. I don't know whether I should buy a cheap VGA block (MCW50) and use it on my evga 6800gs and OC it OR should I step up the card through evga to a 7900gt? The price difference is about 80 bucks. :shrug:

BTW should I buy a bottle of MCT-5? I found one for cheap. Worth it?

that'll cost 140 dollars total and i just don't have that kinda money. the 110 dollars for the step up is already way over my budget. Sighh wat to do?

How about this.
1)If i step up to 7900gt I won't H20 cool at ALL.
2)If i don't step up I'll have enough for reservoir, gpu block, tubing, MCT-5. (I already have cpu block,huge heatercore,pump)

Well wat would make you "Feel" better ? A new card or water cooling ? That in the end is all that matters :) And on an up side I would wait for direct X 10 Cards before stepping up . .

Now that i think about it, its kinda ridiculous, i just upgraded my graphics card 2 1/2 months ago, and i'm already thinking about upgrading for another $100. Am i crazy? Should i just wait?

to tell u the truth i'd feel better just keeping my money and doing neither. But since i already have like most of the water cooling parts, i might as well try to go h20 right? Then i could buy a gpu block (if i wanted) and OC the card and then i wouldn't have to upgrade for a while right?

Exactly how much farther will i b able to OC my 6800gs anyway?

Well no one can answer exactly..But I would imagine more then air unless you have a good air cooler :)

nah its stock cooler. n its crap i can't even oc to 520:1.19 without artifacts... WEAK SAUCE!

i think i've decided to go to water cooling. I think its way too early for another jump for my gfx card so i think i'll wait another year for that. But in the mean time I'm gonna try fix up my watercooling setup. thnx for the early morning help (cali here)

BTW is it a bad idea to use mct-5? i mean i read everywhere that all these nonconductive fluids are actually conductive in certain circumstances soo is it worth it? Cuz this stuffs ridiculously expensive: primochill ice, MCT-5, fluid xp.

Problem is i tend to b really really clumsy and i don't wanna blow up my system. :shrug:

Last edited:
how much time do you have to spend tinkering on your computer?

if its less than 15 hours a week and youve never watercooled before AND your on a tight buget, id put it off.. the first time you do it you really need to take lots of time and read up on the details every time you have a question or doubt.

unless of course your fearless ;)

http://ctech.smccme.edu/~comeaun/erm.JPG
theres an idea of what happens when you dont take your time.... a little leak, clean it up, diddnt think it gotoff thewaterblock.
well, it was in the socket!
being cpu2 in a dual setup it took me 3-4 hours to find cpu2 missing. (although i got lucky, cleaned it up and the chip is fine!)

Unless you have some games that you regularly play that are suffering with your current vid card, why not do the watercooling upgrades right now. Then, in another month or two when you have a bit more cash saved up, and maybe prices have dropped on those 7900 cards, upgrade the vid card.

id say get the watercooling, although you might want to get a better block other than the mcw50. that way you can reuse the setup on any future card you get.

Como said:
how much time do you have to spend tinkering on your computer?

if its less than 15 hours a week and youve never watercooled before AND your on a tight buget, id put it off.. the first time you do it you really need to take lots of time and read up on the details every time you have a question or doubt.

unless of course your fearless ;)

http://ctech.smccme.edu/~comeaun/erm.JPG
theres an idea of what happens when you dont take your time.... a little leak, clean it up, diddnt think it gotoff thewaterblock.
well, it was in the socket!
being cpu2 in a dual setup it took me 3-4 hours to find cpu2 missing. (although i got lucky, cleaned it up and the chip is fine!)

Whoa wait a minute it takes 15 hours a week to mess w/ water cooling? Thats ridiculous. My friend fixed his water setup in about 3 or 4 hours and that was only because he had air in his tubing and we kept trying to get them out. BTW i think i'm gonna test out the water setup on a cheap $15 dollar processor, and my (malfunctioning) nf7-s and if it works it works.

I was thinking I might use distilled water and water watter since its so cheap. But now u got me scurred. Wat if it does leak all over the place?!

Trust me when I say this. From doing a w/c project ive learned that the cost of it creeps up VERY fast. If you can barely afford it do NOT attempt it. Stick with air until you have plenty of cash and then some before you consider water.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
im sure if you shop around and know where to look you can find a setup for a decent price. classifieds are your friend :D

Exactly. :) Thats where i bought like most of my H20 cooling stuff. So far I've spent like 50 dollars on everything n i got the heatercore for free :) SOoooooo I think i should b fine. I just needa buy some 1/2'' barbs for my pump & a reservoir and I'll b set.

Back