• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking the right blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocZer

Norway - subzero watercooling in winter :D
I have a lot of components for s939 systems lying around, so I want to upgrade my old Socket A, and at the same time get a water setup for my other s939 system. I will have to replace the waterblock on the the old setup, but I will keep my eheim 1048 and my Rad. I was maybe thinking about adding GPU blocks on both rigs.

For the newest rig I was thinking about getting an MCP655, a G4 and a maze 4 GPU. Im still unsure what Rad to get because I want to keep fans to a minimum for low noise. It will probably a Black Ice Xtreme 1 or 2.

I know that the G4 has very high restriction, allowing very little water to pass through. Is it wise to couple it with a Maze 4? The maze4 has a very low restriction, but I belive it also needs a very high flow rate. Is this correct?

For the same reason I was thinking that maybe the Apogee would be a better choice on the other rig. After all the Eheim 1048 is weaker then the MCP655

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
if you want low noise get the bip3. if you want less restriction get the mcw60. it should be less restrictive than the maze4
Yup, the BIX are made for fans with 80+ CFM while the BIP are made for low CFM fans.

Ok so I will get the Pro ones, but still. Do you think a BIP 1 will cut it, or do I have to get the BIP 2? I wanted to keep just a single fan on it to keep noise down. My old setup uses a dual rad with 2 Enermax fans running at 1000rpm, and i still think it's a bit to noisy, but if I turn off one of the fans I can bearly hear it.

I can't seem to find any stores that have the MCW60, only the MCW50 here so I think I will stay with the maze 4.

For the moment my setup will be something like this.
Rig 1:
Black Ice pro 2
MCP655
G4
Maze 4 GPU

Rig 2:
Innovatek dual rad
Eheim 1048
Apogee
Maze 4 GPU

I just might get 2 G4's and leave out the GPU block on rig 2 though. Not sure yet.

BTW. Thanks for your help

that looks like a good setup. i wouldnt put a g4 into that second rig since the 1048 probably wont take full advantage with it. i dont know how much more a bip3 will cost you, but it might be worth it to go with one of those and have low rpm fans on it.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
that looks like a good setup. i wouldnt put a g4 into that second rig since the 1048 probably wont take full advantage with it. i dont know how much more a bip3 will cost you, but it might be worth it to go with one of those and have low rpm fans on it.
I think the same, BUT BIP2 with low RPM fans will suffice.

yeah i agree with flilpmode on this one, BIP II is fine for the proposed setups. No need to get a triple 120mm rad

Back