• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Liquid should i use?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

I just bought everything i need to get my h20 setup going. :) finally after 2 whole years wooot. lol. Anyways I was reading overclockers water coolant chemistry guide and I saw that u can use Purified drinking water. IE Aquafina. And i have loads of aquafina. Its the only bottled water i like. So my question is if i use aquafina ALONE will there be algea growin in my setup after like a month? Or do i have to go out and buy something to counter that and if so whats the best? And how much do i need in my setup? I'm only going to b running cpu waterblock, radiator, reservoir, and pump so that'll give u a estimate of how much water will b running through. thanks.

O wait nvm I continued reading more and it seems aquafinas cond is crap compared to distilled water alright steam distilled water it is.

Id just get some distilled water. I think you can get a gallon of it for like a dollar at your local grocery store. I run ~90% distilled water ~10% anti-freeze.

No biocides in ur mixture?

I noticed that u can use Listerine. I have lots of listerine as well. :) But its the green one. Will it matter?

I just looked at Swiftech's HydrX coolant. Its super cheap and does away w/ algea, corrosion and stuff. Any bad sides to using this?

Last edited:
Is this the weekly (or daily) "what coolant should I use" thread? :D:D

I've been using a mixture of RO water, 5% rubing alcohol, and a few drops of liquid dish soap. BUT, my loop has only brass or copper as the metals involved. Aluminum WILL corrode, no matter what you do. Period! Antifreeze and corrosion preventatives will work, up to a point, but they wear out before you remember to change them. It has been a few (3?) years since I've drained my system, and so far, no problems.

steve

This is really becoming a recurring theme.

Use distilled water with about 10% antifreeze (all copper, if anodized aluminum in loop, more like 20%), and add algaecide (can be found in the fish section of walmart) and/or a few drops of alcohol-free iodine, which can also be found at walmart. I use equate povidone-iodine solution 10% with a drop of algaecide. It also comes in handy if you cut yourself putting together your watercooling loop!

I just purchased 2 bottles of swiftech HYDRX for 7 bucks shipped. Way cheaper than if i bought some antifreeze and some algaecide. Thanks for the advice though.

I'm just wondering whether or no i really have to abide w/ the whole water:additive ratio that they suggest of 33oz distilled water:1 bottle of swiftech hydrx.

Do u think i'd b able to get away with just pouring the whole bottle of hydrx into a gallon of steam distilled water? :shrug:

I would stick to their recommendation. If you need to use a whole gallon you would need 4 bottles. You won't need the whole gallon anyway.

I swear we need a sticky: "Use Distilled Water and Antifreeze" :D

Basic distilled water works great. Its cheaper than dirt and theres tons of it. Save the drinking water for your body.

I use PC Ice premixed liquid, $20 for a bottle that fills my entire rig and looks awesome. I prefer the look to water + additives.

Back