• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of algeacide would be safe on an acrylic resevoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I'm working on my first watercooled computer. With a little luck I will squeeze in working on it between school work and finish this weekend. I am planning on using a mixture of distilled water and Super Coolant in the loop. I wanted to add the couple drops of iodine that people recommend, but I have an acrylic resevoir (I also have silicone tubing, would the iodine hurt that, too?). Do I have any other options?

Thanks!

IIRC, iodine is fine with acrylic but in large quantities will stain silicone tubing. Alcohol melts acrylic however. Find some other acrylic item and put some iodine on it and see what happens. One thing to look out for when using it though is that it is an oxidant so treat is as if it were an aluminum component in your loop (abet a small one) when mixing coolants.

A few drops of alcohol free iodine is going to work just fine. You can always also get some algaecide from the fish area of walmart. I use both just to make sure NOTHING grows.

The key to all these Iodine kills acrylic paranoia threads is that there are two kinds of iodine solutions, Ones with alcohol and ones with purified water.
Make sure when you buy it that you ask specifically for ALCOHOL FREE Iodine. You will have no problems then.

I used algeacide from a fish store. It's a brown powder, and I only put in a pinch of it into my res. It turns the water a milky tan collor for a few days but turns back to clear every time. I have never seen any growths in my loop. One container will last you a lifetime easily.

Bad Maniac said:
The key to all these Iodine kills acrylic paranoia threads is that there are two kinds of iodine solutions, Ones with alcohol and ones with purified water.
Make sure when you buy it that you ask specifically for ALCOHOL FREE Iodine. You will have no problems then.

Do I still only need a couple drops of this?

Also, can I buy this kind of iodine at a grocery store, or is it more of a hardware store item?

Any algaecide found in a pet store will work well with acrylic. I use it all the time in several custom 1" acrylic aquariums and they remain crystal clear. It may give some cloudy discoloration as stated earlier, but will ubsied within 24 hours. Be wary not to get any that are mixture of formalin or any other aquatic medication, strictly algaecide.

It's silicone tubing, so it's not very clear.

Question: what kind of brands make this iodine solution? what size bottle does it come in and what is it specifically called? i can't find any around here. I have been to the pharmacy, market and the hardware store.

Providone, is one brand of the aqueos based iodine solution. It is available from Wallgreens, you can order it online from their website, for $15usd w/free shipping.

yes, the ingredients are as follows: Active Ingredients
Povidone-Iodine 10% (1% Available Iodine)
Ingredients
Pareth 25-9 , Purified Water , Sodium Hydroxide
Have fun!

well i got both

the algaecide is called Knock out and over a period of a few days the algae gets all clumped up and yes it works. i add 3 drops per litre . and the stuff will last years. esp a litre of concentrated algaecide. instructions say 175ml per 10,000 gallons . it's pool algaecide so it's perfectly safe for all kinds of materials . won't stain or desolve any washers or rubbers . im sure it's also safe to swim in (>_<) . the other is super algyzine . it's wat u put after u have killed the algae . it's the prevention stuff . i usually mix a batch with the knock out to make sure thre's no algae . let it sit for a few days . strain it with a filter . and then add in the super algyzine (one drop) to prevent algae . very potent stuff .

so after talking to the "poolguy", knock out contains copper 5% of it . it's wat causes the algae not to grow . so how come i was gettign the green slime even when i got 2 waterblocks and a copper radiator? i have no clue . (the copper is present as sulphur pentahydrate)

the super algyzine is poly [(oxyethelene dimethyliminio)ethylene- (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) 30% and controls most of the black greenish algae .

case anyone wants to look all that up . the algaecide that u find in most pet shops aren't concentrated . they are supposed to control a little algae since fish and the environment it lives in need it . i have read a lot about eh iodine , chlorine bleach etc etc . i think the algecide is the safest way to go . i wouldn't want to find a leek anywhere . good luck

Back