• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New setup, Need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oper8or

Well, since I've been water cooling this rig for about 2 months now, I do not like the temps I get. So I am going to redo the entire setup. I'm not sure of some parts as far as what I need. This is what I want to do.

I want it to run very cool. The amount of noise from the fans doesnt bother me to much. So here is how I was thinking the would run starting from the pump throught the rest of the system.

From the pump (MCP655) to the cpu block (Swiftech Apogee, or Danger Den - RBX). From there it will (depending on the cpu block) either y or run straight to one vid card then to the next vid card. From the vid cards it will run to the rad (Black Ice X-Flow Pro II) then to the rez (Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir ) back to the pump.
The rad will be mounted on a Swiftech MCB-120 Radbox Radiator/Fan Housing with 2 120mm fans.

A few things I need help on.
1. Which cpu block would be better for this? I want the least amount of restriction I can get. The Swiftech Apogee has two barbs which would mean less hose. The RBX would be ran with 2 y's instead of 1. More hose. Which is better suited for cooling x2 vid cards?

2. The vga cooling blocks. I've read so many things about them. But I cant decide on which one to get. The DD blocks arent high flow.. and I cant for the life of me find a high flow one. Which do you suggest?

I hope I can do it right this time. My wife is going to kill me for redoing this to begin with. But the cost isnt a problem. Yes I'm going with a rez cause I love the ease of bleeding the system. Makes things so much easier for me.

Thermaltake cpu block.. sadly. So the Apogee is not effective.. Ok.. what about the DD 2 outlet or the RBX? I dont want to make the wife mad by buying the exensive Swifty.. plus I dont know if the pump would have enough head pressure to make it work the way it should.
Now I see. It flows water well.. just doesnt get ride of heat to well. Took me a minute to figure the chart out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the Apogee isn't effective, it's just not a high-performance block. The DD RBX should do almost as well as the Swiftech Storm. An MP655 could cope with either of those CPU blocks and a couple Maze4's.

Why are you set on a high-flow system? If you're thinking more flow always means better temperatures, look at those charts again. It's true that, all other things being equal, more flow means transferring heat at a lower temperature. But the other things aren't equal in high-performance blocks. While blocks like the Apogee do allow much better flow, jet impingement blocks like the Swiftech Storm and the DD RBX still give a lower C/W with just about any pump because they eliminate laminar flow in the block.

Ok now I understand. The blocks with the jets tend to work more consitantly then the others.. because its not just a flow of water going over them. Its a broken stream which in turn carries more heat away. Even if they flow a little slower. Correct?
So the RBX would work for me. I would love to get a storm.. and from what I gathered from my wife. I'll be able to get one :)
Now.. the maze4 vga blocks are good enough to cool the oc'd vid cards? I think from reading your post and looking at the charts they would be.
Thanks for the help Otter.

Oper8or said:
Its a broken stream which in turn carries more heat away. Even if they flow a little slower. Correct?
Yes, that's basically it. It's all about making sure that once the copper heats up a water molecule it doesn't just keep flowing along the copper keeping colder molecules away. You want all the water molecules flowing through the block to have a go.

If you're strapped for cash, the RBX will work almost as well as the Storm. It's a Porsche vs. Ferrari sort of thing.

The Maze4 GPU will do the job. Be sure to get some ramsinks too, as you won't have a fan on the video card anymore.

Back