• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cooling problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viva.la.Adam

Hey guys, this is my first thread on this forum and I am having some serious cooling problems. My computer is an AMD +3200 Venice Core, Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI mobo, 2x 512MB corsair value ram, EVGa 7800gt (PCIe of course), a seagate 200GB drive (all I remember is it runs 7200rpms), 24x Sony DVD-Rom drive, and a ATX case with the 420w power supply that came with it. As for cooling, I have a coolmaster aqua gate mini 80mm. I only have one 80mm case fan and I should have more but i haven't gotten around to buying any yet. My room stays in the mid 20s C and my PC stays on the floor, but my computer is getting to 70C at load and idling at 41 :bang head . I bought the PC from Ibuypower.com and after multiple shipping probelms (as well as they sticking the ram into a dead slot. . ) I don't think I'm ever even reccomending anyone visit their website. From reading online about the components I have, I know it should not be reaching these temperatures.If you guys could give me some tips or lead me into the right direction as to what I should do to cool this easy bake oven I would greatly appreciate it.
I also am willing to spend a few hundred on new components.

You have ONE 80mm fan! Your getting close to no airflow. Your processor should idle around 40-45C while its 45-55C under load. Your 7800GT runs at aprox 50C while idle and close to 70C under load. I'm not surprised at all by these temps. Since your posting in the water cooling thread why dont you read the stickies and poke around and set up a water cooled system.

As for your components, its up to you what you want to do. Your RAM, CPU, and power supply could all use upgrading.

the aquagate mini is a self contained water cooling unit...still, the rad is rather small and would probably benefit from either a more powerful 80mm or adding another in a push/pull setup

You definitely have a problem, either with
1) misseated heatsinks/water blocks
2) crappy current cooling solution (I don't know anything about that coolmaster thing
3) airflow

My first question would be, have you overclocked? Because OC'd parts /could/ reach that high with bad cooling (which is bad). Stock clocks with stock cooling should have temps lower.

Easiest solution is to do as veryhumid said, to remove the side panel and put the tower somewhere in the open (not stuck in a little closest). I'm actually running my computer right now with the side panel off, with extra 80mm's only for my video card and hard drive.

If that doesn't work, get some Arctic Silver 5 and reseat all your heatsinks or blocks... woo that will be hours of fun.

I have not done any overclocking (I look at the bios weekly, tempted as hell) and I just bought artic silver 5; however, I think I'm just going to buy a Thermaltake Venus 12 air cooled heat sink. I dont care if its water cooled as long as it keeps my CPU cool. Im going to buy 2 120mm fans and another 80mm fan as well if I make the switch because currently, the radiator takes up the current rear 120mm slot. I'm also looking into a DFI Lanparty board, ASPIRE 520W Power Supply, and a Artic Cooling Rev Silencer 3 for my 7800gt. btw can anyone tell my why I cannot run BF2 on even medium setting online? In single player I can get away with Medium (No AA btw), I thought that haveing a 7 series nvidia card would mean high settings on that game. I could adjust the graphics settings from the bios because it would sent the computer into stop-go Page refreshing. Thanks for the replies

Last edited:
Seeing my stats, does anyone know if I can fit a TT Big Typhoon and Coolermaster Hyper 6 in the case? I'm not sure if I can.

Back