• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zig's First WC Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Well, I've decided to take the pluge and throw my air out for some water :santa: I've been doing alot of browsing around, looking and 10's of 100's of WC rigs, sig's with high end parts, stickies and further more. d94 was also a HUGE help with what I've selected as well, and I can't thank him enough for his help through all my annoying questions, thanks bro.

I've decided to go to Water Cooling for three reasons really.

1. I popped the IHS off my 144 because I was bored and wanted to do something to my rig. It was sucessfull and now I got a XP-120 sitting on her. I'd hate to be a skinny guy having a fat chick on top of me :(
2. What kind of REAL Overclocker would I be if I didn't venture into Water? :D
3. ...and because I'm actually happy with my rig. The parts I got will last me for about the next year since I'm graduating high school in 2 months and heading to college. Funds gotta go else ware. Figure I'd go out with a bang :D

OH! And I'd like an overall quieter rig.

Ok ok enough with the long boring corny story. Here is what I got.

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee Extreme
GPU Block: Danger Den Acetal MAZE4
Radiator: Black Ice Pro II Dual 120mm
Fans: 2x Sanyo Denki 120mm 102.5CFM 39dB
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC
Fill Port: Dangerden Black Fillport
Tubing: Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC 7/16" Id, 5/8" Od, 3/32" Wall Thickness
Hose Clamps: Buy Locally at Home Depot / Lowes

I think that is just about it. I haven't decided wether I want to use a T-Line or Res...I found a Res at FrozenCPU that is a double 3 1/2 for your floppy bay that I'd like but they are outta stock and I don't gotta clue where to get anything else. My biggest concern at the moment would be the fittings. Judging by the tubing I'm using, I'm going for 1/2. Would that mean I need to get 1/2 fittings for all the parts? I created a basic HTML page here: http://www.distantnetwork.net/wc.html that has links to everything...they give you the option for 1/2 fittings or 3/8th i think at the bottom.

Just had to post...I'm excited as hell, sorta like a little boy on christmas eve :D

Edit: This is the rest I was talking about: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-13.html

Edit 2: SWEET found it: http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=1015&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

Last edited:
thegreek said:
I say buy the Swiftech MCW60 over the maze. Buy everything from one place if possible.

How much is a MCW60 generally? I don't have a large budget but I'm trying to keep it as small as possible. I went with the Apogee because of it's price & performance.

ziggo0 said:
How much is a MCW60 generally? I don't have a large budget but I'm trying to keep it as small as possible. I went with the Apogee because of it's price & performance.
Nevermind, jabtech only has the one with the 8 ram shinks for $60.

Ahhh...I already have some ram sinks so just the MAZE4 is good. What about the whole tubing/fitting thing?

ziggo how much do you have to throw at this? Its going to cost around $200 for you to do this right. (thats about what I spent)

I'm selling off my AXP rig for $300. I don't plan to spend 300 exactly, maybe around 250ish, but 300 is my absolute max.

Here is what I would buy (I haven't checked the prices but it should be within your limit)

CPU: Swiftech Apogee
GPU: Swiftech MCW60 (it's $60 but it'll probably end up being the same if you bought a maze4 + shipping from dangerden)
Rad: ThermoChill PA120.2
Fans: 2 x Yate Loon Fans
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Fill Port: Dangerden Black Fillport (your preference)
Tubing: Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC 7/16" Id, 5/8" Od, 3/32" Wall
Hose Clamps: Buy Locally at Home Depot / Lowes

and you can buy everything here from Jab-Tech which will save you shipping

Nothing wrong with the Maze4 vid card block. Looks like you did your homework. Parts list looks pretty good. Only thing missing is coolant.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
you should able to get all the high end parts for that much. and like "thegreek" said buy everything from one place.
While thats always the hope its not goign to be possible. I was forced to order from 2 locations due to what I wanted (frozencpu and svc.com)

Also Ziggo unless you have a holesaw / drill that takes 1/2" bits and a dremel, I really dont think this is a good idea.

I spent a good $100 on tools that I needed to do the project properly

Hmm thanks for all the input. I've managed to find a dremel I can borrow from someone. I got out the jigsaw last night with an aluminum blade and tested it on an old case, worked like a charm. I do have some 1/2" bits as well, just a matter of digging around for them. I have a whole machine shop at my school to my disposal as well but I dout I will need anything from there.

Sentential said:
I spent a good $100 on tools that I needed to do the project properly
Good quality tools can last a lifetime, everyone has a old drill from the 50's his grandfather used and it still works like a charm.
I worked with tools on daily/hourly basis for 3 and a half years and you learn to respect them especially good brands like BluePoint and SnapOn tools.
Tools are never a waste of money IMO.

Flip-Mode said:
Good quality tools can last a lifetime, everyone has a old drill from the 50's his grandfather used and it still works like a charm.
I worked with tools on daily/hourly basis for 3 and a half years and you learn to respect them especially good brands like BluePoint and SnapOn tools.
Tools are never a waste of money IMO.

Yeah, I still have one of those drills. Aside from the power cord shorting out a few times, it's still top quality compared to today's drills.

ziggo0 said:
Yeah, I still have one of those drills. Aside from the power cord shorting out a few times, it's still top quality compared to today's drills.
Im just making sure because it was one hell of an undertaking for me to do this right.

Another suggestion, buy another case before you begin. My PC was down for almost two weeks while putting this together

Sentential said:
Im just making sure because it was one hell of an undertaking for me to do this right.

Another suggestion, buy another case before you begin. My PC was down for almost two weeks while putting this together
Agree

Yeah, that is a good idea, except I'm not going to get a new case for just that. I have an old case I completely gutted for mounting the mobo, hdd & psu in so i can have it as a sorta temperary station. Thanks for all the input guys, it's greatly appricated.

ziggo0 said:
Yeah, that is a good idea, except I'm not going to get a new case for just that. I have an old case I completely gutted for mounting the mobo, hdd & psu in so i can have it as a sorta temperary station. Thanks for all the input guys, it's greatly appricated.
Not a bad idea there. My dad works at the city dump.. scale master.. takes your money :) and also has people drop off computers ALL the time down there. I'm going to have him grab one so I can gut it and keep it for setups. Not a bad idea at all.

Back