• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going back to watercooling after the disaster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

About two months ago my finicky pump didn't start with the computer and I didn't notice until it cooked the CPU so bad that it cracked the acrylic and dripped some water on the GPU which took it out too. Damn Asus for no auto shutdown feature.

I've reordered the parts from DD again:

TDX with a BRASS top this time
Double HC
Maze Acetal (NV-68 is too heavy and hard to get a good seat)
D5

Here are my plans. My UFO2 case's MB tray was a POS and wouldn't line up correctly, so I was thinking I'd use both the HC and my old BIX2 and use both my finicky D4 and the new D5 in a single loop all external in the MM case with the only thing in the system case being the blocks. I can have the pumps and fan running off an old 300w Antec PSU and leave the pumps running 24/7 and turn off the fans. At least with two pumps running, if one goes there is the backup. Also everything besides the blocks could leak and wouldn't harm a thing.

Would this setup work for this situation?

Pump1--HC--Rad--Pump2--CPU--GPU--Pump1

I know it's overkill, but what the heck. The only thing that I bought that I really didn't need was the HC and that was pretty cheap and I don't trust the D4 enough on its own, but I do trust it enough with the backup D5. I only had problems with it when starting the system and all but the one time I noticed when it wasn't pumping.

I also have a DFI board now that does have a BIOS shutoff and MBM works with it that can be configured for shutoff as well. I learned the hard way once.

Daddyjaxx said:
and leave the pumps running 24/7

That's a smart idea this time around, I leave my pump on 24/7 even of the pc is off (which is almost never) My pump is plugged into a large UPS which will run much longer than the UPS my system is plugged into

Well...everything is up and running again. I've been bleeding it for about 6 hours now and it will take days to get all of the air out with a double HC, BIX2,and around 10 feet of tubing. Watching the flow, since I still have a few visible bubbles, it looks like the one pump may have been sufficient, but what the heck.

I went ahead and booted to make sure I didn't screw anything up and my GPU was 7c cooler than with air, but my CPU was 2c warmer. I assume it's because I have at least 36w of heat that has been dumped into the loop from the pumps and I don't have the fans running. The water is just a little warmer than it would be usually.

What surprises me the most is I only used about 42 ounces of MCT-5 and about 5 or 6 ounces of that are sitting in the T line and fillport res.

wat would be cool is some kinda back up that kicks in when the other pumps aren't pulling thier wieght . like an automatic fan controller . secondary pump that just sits there and does nothing till one of the pumps stop .. wonder if there is a way to rig up a sensor to start the pwer on a pump when it gets too hot .. hmmmm

Back