• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water leak question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darren909

Hi, i have a liquid cooling system, well i was playing world of warcrafft and all of a sudden these lines started to appear everywhere, well it went on for 10 seconds before i check for a leak, well it seems like 1 or 2 water drops found there water from my cpu heatsink onto my video card, i powered down the box RIGHT away, and ive unplugged the video card and its drying out, do you think it has a chance of drying out or is it F'd?

thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

There is a slight chance it can be saved. I suggest an alcohol bath and then blow dry the mess out of that thing. Let it sit for a day just to be safe. Do the same for all components you think might have been affected. Good luck. Always hate to see things like this happen.

Rubbing alcohol will take water with it when it evaporates, which makes it ideal for using to rinse components when they have gotten wet. This is particularly the case with things such as AGP, PCI-E, PCI slots, etc. where you can blowdry to your heart's content and still not get all of the water out.

An alcohol bath doesn't guarantee that your card will be saved. If the damage has been done then there really is nothing you can do. Alcohol is used in cases where the components are not damaged but still might have some water on them.

i let it dry under a lamp all night and it works once again today
i got saved by a miracle.
thanks for the tips though, much appreciated!

This is one of the reasons I don't like using any coolant except distilled water, and rubbing alcohol.

If you run all brass, or brass and copper components, you can run distilled water and rubbing alcohol, without experiencing any corrosion.

It is usually the "additives" that cause the corrosion, when you have a spill. Water Wetter is one of the worst!

steve

What I did to my MB when distilled water\water wetter into my 775pin cpu socket a while back:

Drench entire MB in alcohol, let dry for a few hours then bake in oven at 200F with door half open for 45 minutes, carefully monitoring of course!

doesnt the rubbing alcohol cause problems?
i thought thats why all the threads specify non-alcohol iodine

Stratus_ss said:
doesnt the rubbing alcohol cause problems?
i thought thats why all the threads specify non-alcohol iodine

That is only for clear-topped water blocks. Mine are solid copper, soldered together, or bolted together.

It hasn't hurt my plumbing in 3 years.

steve

Darren, what were you using for coolant? If you used distilled water instead of tap, there's a fairly good chance your electronics will survive. I'd estimate better than half the wet board stories on this forum have happy endings. You should probably clean the mobo and CPU while you're at it just in case a little coolant got into the CPU socket.

Back