• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this a good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcmaker401

hey guys, i'm been reading a lot here, so i figured its time to actually ask something...

here's what i'm thinking for my next pc, maybe early summer: (roughly)
X2 processor (4400-4800+)
2 GB of OCZ
silverstone modular PSU (SST-ST60F 600W)
abit 32x sli mb
nvidia 7900gt (sli later on)
using 120mm fans (silverstone w/ fan control FM121)
swiftech 350
swiftech storm
BIP 2
res - not sure yet

this is my first wc pc and i'm going for a quiet and fast pc here, so any suggestions would nice.
first, is the Swiftech 350 good enough to cool down the X2? I'm thinking either 1/2 or 3/8 id...

second, is this enough, if i add the vid card into the loop later on? and if i add the sli later?

thx -J

Last edited:
id bump up to a bip3 if you plan to get sli and cool them both in the same loop. the 350 should be enough but you might want to do the mod for more flow. otherwise it looks good.

you didnt list case.

if you have a large case i would go with a bip3 too or an xflow3 non extreme but since the price of the pumps is so similar i would go with a d5 or 655 instead.

I would guess that the modified 350 would edge out the 655 once you have the second GPU block in the loop. While the stock 350 also delivers plenty of head, the 1/4" ID elbow right before the impeller really limits its flow.

The problem with the 655 is that it's a bit noisy. It's easily quiet enough for most, but on the silencing forums it's considered moderately loud.

Consider 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing. It gives you the best of both worlds unless you've got seven feet or more of tubing.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=331742

also consider the X1900XTX, it's probably about equivalent to 7900GT SLI, and it means less power drain and less heat to dissipate.

I would possibly look at different Ram if you plan on overclocking, A friend of mine has that motherboard with OCZ Platinum memory and he can't overclock. he is running a 3800+ manchester and he had that proc and Memory on the ASrock dual Sata Board with the ULI chipset and had no problems with overclocking.

hey all right, thx...yeah i heard that the 655 is kinda loud if you're trying to build a quiet pc. and that on the low setting, its kinda weak.

I will do the mod on the 350, its looks easy enough. got a miller machine available to me. :p. For the 7/16 id tube, i hope it doesn't kink, i read that the suction is really strong and could close up the tube...

The case i'm still not too sure about, I would like it to have the side window on the right side like a couple lian li cases i saw, but not exactly what i'm looking for. (FYI, looking for something that has a door, for a clean front.)
I have a case right now (chieftec blue dragon series) with it on my desk on the left side and the window is on the left...(yeah i know, whats the point?) If you see any of those kind of cases, please let me know, i only find lian li.

I will consider the X1900XTX, if it means less heat and its just as fast as the 7900gt...i haven't looked at ATi lately...

I figured the OCZ is good for ocing, guess not..will look for others like gskill..

oh and i'm not sure if i would like the bip3, since it looks go damn huge!!!, lol

also, is the 350 good with the swiftech storm? there's no jet impingement right?

Last edited:
the storm is the ideal of jet impingement

and if you want to mod a 350 i would mod the intake to a 9/16 or a 3/4 intake barb personally

if you make your own pvc air trap/res and use a very large intake on that pump you will see a performance increase ( do not make it larger than 3/4 or you will loose performance )

Forget good RAM, get value stuff, even with a really high end setup you don't see any real performance gain on A64, and because of the memory dividers value RAM doesn't really affect overclocking. Save the money and spend it on better cooling or a better gfx card, something that will make a difference, or save it for some nice DDR2 on your next rig.

thorilan said:
and if you want to mod a 350 i would mod the intake to a 9/16 or a 3/4 intake barb personally

if you make your own pvc air trap/res and use a very large intake on that pump you will see a performance increase ( do not make it larger than 3/4 or you will loose performance )
The actual opening in the top of hte DDC/350's impeller is just under half an inch. Would the ideal be to match the inlet ID and the impeller ID?

And what would you recommend for two of these pumps in series? Because the outlet is much more difficult to modify, would it make sense to just eliminate the elbow on the second pump and keep the original ID to avoid turbulence, or does it still make sense to widen the inlet to reduce cavitation?

>HyperlogiK< said:
Forget good RAM, get value stuff, even with a really high end setup you don't see any real performance gain on A64, and because of the memory dividers value RAM doesn't really affect overclocking. Save the money and spend it on better cooling or a better gfx card, something that will make a difference, or save it for some nice DDR2 on your next rig.
umm...i'm pretty sure that the memory dividers affect the AMD processors a lot...the tighter the latency, the better the performance (e.g. 1T compared to 2T)...this doesn't affect Intel though...and ddr2 isn't available to AMD just yet...gotta wait for the AM2 to come out

You're thinking of the older AMD CPU's, pcmaker. That hasn't been true since they put the memory controller on the CPU. Even with plain old DDR, the memory just isn't a bottleneck very often. 1T is good for a 2-3% gain in real world performance over 2T.

latency really isn't a big thing because the IMC reduces it so much anyway, and the Athlon 64's aren't clocked fast enough to take full advantage of anything clocked much faster than DDR 400 (hence the tiny performance increases in real world apps running faster memory). I mentioned DDR2 in light of future AMD or Intel systems (I did specifically say 'in your next rig') because any investment in 2GB of quality DDR1 right now seems like a real waste, even if it was required for performance.

pcmaker401 said:
umm...i'm pretty sure that the memory dividers affect the AMD processors a lot
Oh, and the memory dividers don't have any negative affect on the A64's or Opteron's. The memory controller and RAM have their own bus. This eliminates the need to run the RAM synchronously with the FSB. In fact, there is no FSB.

>Otter< said:
You're thinking of the older AMD CPU's, pcmaker. That hasn't been true since they put the memory controller on the CPU. Even with plain old DDR, the memory just isn't a bottleneck very often. 1T is good for a 2-3% gain in real world performance over 2T.

ah ok..oops...i guess i've been out of it for a while...

>HyperlogiK< said:
latency really isn't a big thing because the IMC reduces it so much anyway, and the Athlon 64's aren't clocked fast enough to take full advantage of anything clocked much faster than DDR 400 (hence the tiny performance increases in real world apps running faster memory). I mentioned DDR2 in light of future AMD or Intel systems (I did specifically say 'in your next rig') because any investment in 2GB of quality DDR1 right now seems like a real waste, even if it was required for performance.

ah..ok..well then no ddr500 for me..and i overlooked that "in you next rig"...haha..sorry....

and i noticed that on the AMD there is no FSB...all this really clears things up! hehe

While were on the mode of saving you money, take the cash that youd spend on SLI and buy 1 graphics card. The performance gain with sli is minute compared to the performance gain on buying a Single better card with the same $.

Back