• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Troubles!!! I got OWNED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

Alright well i was uber juiced about getting my h20 parts today so I went ahead and started assembling it, but then i realized that when i turned it on everything went to crap. Water was leaking all over the place, from the outlet of (via aqua 1300 pump) and the arrangment of the tubing was terrible without any preparation and done w/ stupidty causing them all to get tangled. And because of this, when i was twisting off the inlet of the pump, i broke a plastic piece that kept the (impeller?) is the door basically to the blue thingy inside the pump. Well the broke the piece and now it pops open whenever i fiddle w/ the tubing.

On the plus side:
120x2mm heatercore doesn't seem to b leaking
Zalman WB2 cpu block doesn't leak
D-tek Reservoir doesn't leak (and took me a while to realize it was better to just plug in the tubing on the same side instead of separating by side.)

So my question is am I screwed? Can my dreams of watercooling b saved??? :shrug:

Last edited:
You are hassled, but not screwed. I'm not familiar with your pump, but JBWeld or a similar epoxy might fix that broken door to the blue thingy. Leaks can usually be fixed by tightening something. If it needs more than that, see if you can RMA the pump. If you can't, you can probably seal up the leak, but you shouldn't have to do that with a new pump. If this thread doesn't attract someone who knows your pump, start a new one with "via aqua 1300" in the title.

Well they aren't the quality of the laings but they can be a cost minded alternative. I suppose this illustrates the risk but on the tightest budget what can you do?

i wonder whats wrong w/ the outlet of the pump i tightened that thing as far as it could twist w/ a wrench and whenever its shooting out water, water forms at the base of the barb...

And the door to the impeller or blue thingy that spins keeps poping off when i twist the tubing... i could try krazy glue i guess P_P but i gotta go buy it, and it still might pop off after... what to do? i'm looking at eheim pumps now. lol.

And the tubings all flattened and isn't very flexible. lol problems up the butt. Any ideas? I heard from someone that its expands to its original shape when u put it in boiling water. True?

The Eheim pumps are at the other end of the reliability scale. They're also very quiet. The only drawback is that they have relatively low head for a WC pump. But then, so would your Aqua, even if it wasn't spraying water all over your case.

In regards to the tubing, You can get 10 feet of clear vinyl tubing for $3 or 20 feet for $3.95 at Home Depot (Just went to buy 20 feet of tubing monday). They are are easily replacable. I wouldnt bother with trying to fix the messed up tubings, once you kink them so much that they dont rebound to their orginal round shape their a lot more prone to kinking again. Oh and I would most certainly not order tubing online for $2 a foot.

Last but not least, when you attempt it get your setup running again take the time to plan out the layout of your system to avoid sharp angles.

Last edited:
that vinyl or pvc tubing is not very good for bends. they'll kink real easy. I bought 20 feet of 7/16" Masterkleer from Mcmaster for $.37/ft. it's way easier to work with than 1/2" (which I used in my 1st rig although it did work well) and saves a lot of space. That Depot or Lowes tubing is only good if you need straight or maybe 45 deg bends.

Just wondering why the EHEIM 1048 pump's GPH is so low. Its like 185 while the aqua pump is like 350 or something. And from the loop i ATTEMPTED to make it didn't seem all that powerful at all. It couldn't even push the water through the whole loop, but then again I didn't cut the tubing too short so theres alot of excess. Or was it because it was leaking... lol.

BTW i redid the setup n realized my NEW :rolleyes: reservoir's barbs were leaking as well as the pump outlet. so i thought i would try to seal them. But wats the best sealant for this kinda stuff? Plastic pump and polyethylene reservoir.

Last edited:
i would wrap some teflon tape around all the threads on all your fittings, unless they have o-rings. If they have o-rings then check them to make sure there not cracked or defective.
hope this helps yea out

whats a O ring?

Are u sure teflon tape would work? Wouldn't it not tape perfectly at the screw part or something? :shrug:
Eh watever i'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

I would recommend replacing the pump, it might cut out on you at a random time if the impeller is damaged. If you're paranoid about leaks, I'd recommend getting yourself some non-conductive fluid; I use PC Ice, it leaked on my 6800 GT and everything kept running.

The Eheim 1048 just isn't a very powerful pump. It's meant for relatively small aquariums.

O rings are little rubber donuts, like washers, only round instead of flat. If your barbs have straight threads, you should have O rings, and making sure the rings are good, the surfaces they seat against don't have any deep scratches, and the barbs are tight should stop your leak.

Teflon tape is used where the thread increases in width and forms a watertight seal without O-rings. Just wrap it around the threads two or three times and screw the barb in as tight as you can. Mostly, it's just a lubricant to let you get things screwed together very tightly (you can use soap too), but it does help plug up the threads a little. And no, the overlap of the tape will not cause a leak.

I'm not sure what would be a good sealant for polyethylene. A lot of things won't stick to it very well. Hot glue is polyetheylene, though, so that might work. There's also a glue called Welder ( I think). I've got a tube around here somewhere, and if you wind up going that route, I'll dig it up and tell you who makes it.

Last edited:
JB Weld may fix it. It works on plastics and metals and just about everything else I've tried to stick together. Then again, a broken pump is still a liability. Go for a Via Aqua 1800 from DrsFosterandSmith and get some proper brass barbs. The 1800 is all of $16. You may spend more trying to find an epoxy for your pump ;).

Seal them up with RTV Silicone like Goop brand Silicone Marine Epoxy. I've done this with my 1800 after Teflon tape failed to seal the pump's threads. Goop can be removed also so its not permanent. If you use a wrench to loosen the barb and break the adhesion the Goop has made you can remove it the rest of the way by hand.

That said, it would be annoying to try to pick out all of the goop I used lol. I used it in the threads as well as all over the body of the barb and "shafts" where the barbs screw into. That way, even if fluid gets through the threads, it will be stopped by the seal the Goop has created over the seem of the barbs and pump.

Also, I saw someone suggest crazy glue (which is just the a brand name for Cyanoacrylate glue). Never use glues with water. They will melt and the pump will fall apart. Epoxies are the way to go.

I can't believe i forgot to add a link to my res
RES
Yes, I know its cheap as hell. I'm starting to realize I'd b much better off if I had spent the money on some quality products.

I guess i'll get jb weld (hopefully it'll work on HDPE). Its only 5 bucks on mcmaster.
Gonna get me 20 ft of masterkleer 5/8'' OD, 1/2'' ID tubing. Cheap under 5 dollars, so ridiculous.

BTW, do u guys know how to check shipping at MCMASTER? I can't seem to find the price for shipping anywhere at checkout. I'm already on the place order page.

For clamps, i'm hearing that these metal worm clamps are pretty good. Anyone wanna direct me to which one exactly on MCMASTER for my 1/2'' loop?

Last edited:
Keep that pump bumsquad if you can fix it. I have one too and it ran splendedly when i had it in my system. There is a lot of vibration caused by the pump but some spongy material beneath it will take all the noise and vibrations away, no problem.

Yeah the fitting on the 1300 pump is held on by silicon rubber I believe, have you tried that yet?

And did you know that if you glue the impeller to the blue stick or whatever together, it would be EXTREMELY quiet, I found that mod on a water cooling site a while back, it works too, I can post some pictures and show you mine.

i'm very interested :)

Lol mayb the extra jb weld will b able to seal the impeller door once i do this "impeller mod"

you can get jb weld just about anywhere... wal-mart, Ace, etc. Don't expect to be able to take anything apart that you've put together with jb weld... especially if it's plastic parts.

Back