• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new WC setup with a dozen pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N803

Registered
I setup WC in my system this past weekend and here are a few pics.
Please feel free to comment and suggest any improvements. :)
Thanks.

First I took the top plate off, cut a second 120 mm hole in it - I already had one 120 mm exhaust hole (the one in the middle of the plate) with a fan when I was on air - and installed the rad - it's a dual 120 mm HC:

rad.jpg

On the other side I attached the fans - this pic shows them mounted right on top of the plate but later on (see final pic) I spaced them 1" away using the housings from another pair of 120 mm fans.

top_fans.jpg

Then I went ahead and took the whole thing apart for cutting & drilling.

case1.jpg

Opened two holes in the back plate for the water tubing. I did this because my rad being 2x120 ended above my PS so there was no way I could use 90° barbs on it. I decided to use straight ones instead and run a small part of the tubing outside the case. Not the most compact install but at least got great flow. :)

rad_holes.jpg

Then I opened a square hole on the side plate to run some additional cabling between the plate and the case, something I was planning on doing for a long time now:

case2.jpg

Next was drilling a couple of holes and installing the pump (MCP655):

pump.jpg

Had to split up more posts b/c of the img tag limit. Anyway:

Then I took my brand new mobo

dfi_nf4_ud.jpg

and took off the original HS support, installing the waterblock screws and the processor. I decided not to lap the proc at this time, before seeing the results. I did lap both blocks for quite some time before mounting. Cleaned both blocks, proc and GPU thouroughly with isopropyl alcohol and my temps are great so I guess I got a good mounting. Next time I take the system apart for whatever reason I might lap the proc just for that extra degree or two. :)

cpu.jpg

Next came the CPU block itself. In case you're wondering what f***ing block is that, it's called "WCBR" and was made by a fellow Brazilian overclocker. I wanted to get a Storm but just got so damn tired of waiting for Swiftech to make more that I decided to go with that for now. It's got low restriction so flow is great and temps are also great. When I have another chance I might try another block.

cpu_block.jpg

Next was the video card's turn, shown here side by side with the proc:

proc+vga.jpg

All clean and ready:

vga_naked.jpg

GPU close-up:

gpu.jpg

Video card ready with the MCW-60 and heatsinks:

vga_block.jpg

2nd leak testing, all inside:

leaktest.jpg

And the final result:

water_mar06.jpg

nice, i have the same case, just in the procces of modding it, looks sick, it would look better if you put the wires on the other side of the case and put a window on it

Thanks!

Yeah well the "missing" side panel kinda hides those wires cause it's plexi but has a metallic frame. I'll post another pic with the cover on later tonight. :D

Oh and I forgot to mention, temps are 29°C idle and 44-45°C under dual Prime95. Ambient is ~24°C.

hahahuuhaa didn't notice the frame was sideways I thought I took the pic sideways haha
nice catch :D:D

Thanks BTW ^^

Looks good,

I like your RAD because it is different than what is seen nowadays in builds. That CPU block looks a lot like the old Maze4 type coolers with the copper coils in them too. Just wondering though, did you remove the RAM sinks beneath the tubing? I saw pics of the ramsinks being cut down so they can be used, becuase it would be better than leaving them naked right?

Great job again,
Bryan d

bryan_d said:
Looks good,

I like your RAD because it is different than what is seen nowadays in builds. That CPU block looks a lot like the old Maze4 type coolers with the copper coils in them too. Just wondering though, did you remove the RAM sinks beneath the tubing? I saw pics of the ramsinks being cut down so they can be used, becuase it would be better than leaving them naked right?

Great job again,
Bryan d

Look at the 3rd post, 3rd picture down. You can barely see the ramsinks still on it. You made me look. :D

I'll be dang. Your right. I didnt look close enough did I. Thanks for pointing that out man. I had myself thinking he did have them on. Why would they get removed? I mean can they not be dremed down enough to make them fit?

Oper8or said:
I'll be dang. Your right. I didnt look close enough did I. Thanks for pointing that out man. I had myself thinking he did have them on. Why would they get removed? I mean can they not be dremed down enough to make them fit?

No tools maybe? I would hate to have those RAM chips naked, myself. I agree, about dremeling those down and slapping them back on.

Bryan d

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I did dremel the RAM sinks and put them in place as you can see in pic #3, post #3 as Oper8or mentioned, but they fell off from the ICs when adjusting the tubing. I read about that in several places in the forums, about how that Swiftech adhesive sucks. I didn't OC the video card yet (see my sig), so it's acceptable for now, but I'm puttin some real adhesive on all 8 sinks asap. :D

Back