• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXOS II modding questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proth

My Exos II looks cool but really....uh...BLOWS.
Rad, fans and controller are fine but pumps have no flow @ .5 lt/min.
DD RBX block sometimes runs 20c over water temp due to poor flow. I'd like to just put a DD or swiftech pump is series but don't know what this will do to the pumps already present in the EXOS II reservoir. Would think the Swiftech suction like would be connected to the EXOS's output port. Not really worried about taking the thing apart and bypassings the pumps if I have to.........Anyone do this yet? thx

The DDC would probably fit in the Exos II's case, so I'd look at that. Becuse it's 3/8", you wont even have to change out all the tubing. All you need to do is replace the Koolance pumps/res with something else (or rip the pumps out of it and use it) and crap the DDC in and you'll be good to go.

sir_pyro said:
The DDC would probably fit in the Exos II's case, so I'd look at that. Becuse it's 3/8", you wont even have to change out all the tubing. All you need to do is replace the Koolance pumps/res with something else (or rip the pumps out of it and use it) and crap the DDC in and you'll be good to go.

Whoa...Excellent idea, OK WTF is a DDC. Any links.? thx

Thanks very much Otter. Don't think there's room inside the reservoir for the mod that changes the inlet connection, but the DDC-R2 has 200 LTH more than the stock DDC. A fantastic improvement over the stock EXIS II's 30 LTH capability. Ordering a unit right after this post

Be aware that the Exos pump/res does not run on 12vdc. It's like 24vac and can only be powered with the pump controller in the Exos. So don't try to plug a 12v pump in the controller socket. Power it separately from 12v rail.
Also the stock flow rate is designed to match the cooling capability of the Rad, moving water faster through it won't allow it to fully cool. So you may need an extra rad as well, something like a swiftech single 80mm. You can also add extra fans to the bottom side of the case. Reverse the fan direction so it sucks from the top and blows out bottom.

proth said:
Thanks very much Otter. Don't think there's room inside the reservoir for the mod that changes the inlet connection,
Do you mean inside as in under water? The DDC is not submersible, so even if there is room, don't put it in the res.

but the DDC-R2 has 200 LTH more than the stock DDC. A fantastic improvement over the stock EXIS II's 30 LTH capability. Ordering a unit right after this post
Two things to consider: Swiftech told Paapaa the 18W version is "much noisier" than the original 10W pump. And if this chart is accurate, it's only 100 LTH, a 25% improvement instead of 50%.
http://www.1337-relaxed.de/frenz/pix/Pump performance DDC 1 and DDC 1+.pdf

Wstinkbait said:
Be aware that the Exos pump/res does not run on 12vdc. It's like 24vac and can only be powered with the pump controller in the Exos. So don't try to plug a 12v pump in the controller socket. Power it separately from 12v rail.
Also the stock flow rate is designed to match the cooling capability of the Rad, moving water faster through it won't allow it to fully cool. So you may need an extra rad as well, something like a swiftech single 80mm. You can also add extra fans to the bottom side of the case. Reverse the fan direction so it sucks from the top and blows out bottom.

24v AC? Uh where did you get that?

Inside the reservoir are two Koolance 12 VDC, submersible pumps.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=154

The entire unit is powered from 12v from your PSU, would be pretty stupid of them to up it to 24v DC. Converting DC to AC is a whole different story. Not to mention I dont know of any electronics that run off of 24v AC.

Anyways...
I've always liked the exos-2 just because of looks. Never seen anyone heavily modify one of them. If it were me I'd replace the pumps, DDC plus would be my choice too, ream out the barbs on the rad to use 1/2" adapters and tubing, and replace all the koolance blocks with better ones.

Wstinkbait said:
Also the stock flow rate is designed to match the cooling capability of the Rad, moving water faster through it won't allow it to fully cool.
But the goal is not to cool the water fully, it is to transfer heat. If the water cooled to ambient before leaving the rad, the far end of the radiator would transfer almost no heat to the air. I'm not completely sure what you are saying here, but if you are thinking a high flow rate doesn't give the water time to cool, read this:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/

jamesavery22 said:
24v AC? Uh where did you get that?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=154

The entire unit is powered from 12v from your PSU, would be pretty stupid of them to up it to 24v DC. Converting DC to AC is a whole different story. Not to mention I dont know of any electronics that run off of 24v AC.

Anyways...
I've always liked the exos-2 just because of looks. Never seen anyone heavily modify one of them. If it were me I'd replace the pumps, DDC plus would be my choice too, ream out the barbs on the rad to use 1/2" adapters and tubing, and replace all the koolance blocks with better ones.

The power control board converts 12vdc to an AC voltage. A 12dc pump plugged in that socket will not work. I know because I have modified several Exos, How many have you done? Increasing the flow rate alone will not cool like you expect. The tiny Aluminum rad is not capable of cooling large loads.

Sorry, meant under the reservoir, not in it.
The pumps are 12v. Even if not, the controller gets ripped out and pump will be directlly powered off 12v rail.
Whether 200 or 400 more, it's tons more flow than 30LPH.
Yes, increased heat transfer is to goal, not cooler temps. Agreed higher flow will not lower temps...actually temps will go up because heat transfer is better. DDX Block temps are 20c over rad temps under load. Sucks seeing 13c on the rad and 30c on the CPU.

proth said:
Sorry, meant under the reservoir, not in it.
Ah, that makes more sense. :)

Yes, increased heat transfer is to goal, not cooler temps. Agreed higher flow will not lower temps...actually temps will go up because heat transfer is better.
Actually it's the other way around. Better heat transfer means lower thermal resistance. Hence, if all else remains the same, a higher flow rate will allow the system to stabilize at a lower temperature.

Higher coolant flow won't help the radiator much, though, because the air side is the primary limit on performance. But the extra flow isn't going to hurt, and it should lower the temperature differential across the blocks. The only downside to higher flow is the extra heat from a more powerful pump.

Wstinkbait said:
The power control board converts 12vdc to an AC voltage. A 12dc pump plugged in that socket will not work. I know because I have modified several Exos, How many have you done? Increasing the flow rate alone will not cool like you expect. The tiny Aluminum rad is not capable of cooling large loads.

lol ok...

#1 look at the PCB-NX002P thats on the exos-2
http://www.koolance.com/images/pcb-nx002p_p0.jpg
There could be a crappy dc-ac inverter on there but I doubt it. That 10 legged IC next to the inductor could be one but more than likely its for the 12pin display(j2)...

#2 its said in every review Ive seen, google for r-pmp01 the pump koolance uses in all their setups
http://www.systemcooling.com/koolance_aquian-03.html
• Model: R-PMP01
• Nominal voltage: 12 VDC
• Nominal head: 1.5m (59” or 2.1 PSI)
• Nominal flow: 1L/min (15.8 GPH)

But hey you obviously know what your talking about and everyone else is wrong. They are definitely 24 AC pumps :rolleyes:

jamesavery22 said:
But hey you obviously know what your talking about and everyone else is wrong. They are definitely 24 AC pumps :rolleyes:

Hey..Be nice. This is my thread. Thanks for all the good advice here. I woulda just stuck an external pump in the line. The internal setup is a lot cleaner. Wouldn't want to mess up my rig:
crap2th.jpg

IN FACT, YES, HE knows what he is talking about, and everyone else is WRONG.

The voltage across the fan connector nodes is 12 VAC That's twelve VAC, not twenty-four VAC either.

I saw this thread, disassembled the EXOS, and took a multimeter and measured myself.

jamesavery22 said:
lol ok...

#1 look at the PCB-NX002P thats on the exos-2
http://www.koolance.com/images/pcb-nx002p_p0.jpg
There could be a crappy dc-ac inverter on there but I doubt it. That 10 legged IC next to the inductor could be one but more than likely its for the 12pin display(j2)...

#2 its said in every review Ive seen, google for r-pmp01 the pump koolance uses in all their setups
http://www.systemcooling.com/koolance_aquian-03.html
• Model: R-PMP01
• Nominal voltage: 12 VDC
• Nominal head: 1.5m (59” or 2.1 PSI)
• Nominal flow: 1L/min (15.8 GPH)

Back