• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what screws are you using for your rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
ok first if this is in the wrong spot I appologize and mods just move it on over for me :)

ok so i am messing around with my new BIP II and i cant get any screws to fit this sucker I have used every single fan screw, computer screw, case screw, etc that I have (and believe me I have a pile) and I cant find one to really work that well

so what do you use?

if you dont have a BIP I am still interested

it might also make a good sticky

thanks

I haven't tried them yet (still modding the case), but some screws came with my BIP II.

I have looked at them and they aren't very long. I am thinking of trying a bolt that runs through the radiator. It looks like is should miss the piping, but I will probably grind off the threads on the part that will be inside the radiator. If that solution doesn't work, I may cut (dremel) a slot that opens up the mounting holes so that I can slide the head of a bolt into place.

Mark

The fan mounting holes in a BIP or BIX should accept a #6 sheet metal screw--the length to be determined by the thickness of the fans you're using and anything else they're going through to do the mounting. Home Depot or any hardware store should have plenty of them.

The thread is M2 (I guess its the same as the Coolingworks rad), might help with a search.
I couldn't find a threaded rod that small in Israel and I can't find screws long enough.
Don't mind me, I'm just ranting....

Every BIX I've seen has just a thin piece of sheet metal where the fans mount--I've still got the BIX3 I killed a few years ago so I can take a pic if anyone wants me to. So, either regular #6 sheet metal screws or similarly sized self-tapping screws would work. I've never seen a BIX that actually had threaded holes for mounting, but Aqua-Computer has them so I don't see why it couldn't be possible. And, of course, an M2 or M3 can be rethreaded to 6-32, but I'm pretty sure that with most, if not all, Harware Labs radiators plain old sheet metal screws will work just fine.

Stratus_ss can you post a pic of the radiator? It would give all of us more to work with.

i'll be able to get some pics maybe tomorow or monday i still havent reclaimed my digital camera from the girlfriend yet

i went out and got some #6 sheet metal 1 inche screws and they seem to be doing ok... I have the system bleeding right now... even with a res its taking quite a while

Stratus_ss said:
i'll be able to get some pics maybe tomorow or monday i still havent reclaimed my digital camera from the girlfriend yet

i went out and got some #6 sheet metal 1 inche screws and they seem to be doing ok... I have the system bleeding right now... even with a res its taking quite a while
Well, if it's working don't worry about the pics. I just figured that with the confusion over whether or not the holes were threaded a pic would help--but if the sheet metal screws worked, one problem solved.

Bleeding can take a while. As long as you're seeing bubbles making their way to the res and being trapped, you're good. If they aren't being trapped, try tilting (and proping) the case in a position where they will be trapped. And, if that doesn't work, take a pic when you get the camera back :) and maybe someone will have a suggestion.

ya i figured i would be a little rough on it to see if any leaks developed so I laided it on all 4 sides and strangly when I laid it on the window side it bled in a manner of 2 minutes or so.. anyways no leaks yet into hr 4 so if all goes well tomorow night I might put the mobo and proc under the blocks (with no power to them)

anyways thanks for the help with the screws fixed me right up

Back