• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

simple question on the Zalman Reserator Plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

I recently purchased a Zalman Reserator Plus and haven't gotten around to installing it for my new CPU (Opteron 165). I was wondering if it'll be good enough to keep the CPU cool enough so I can overclock (i want to go as high as possible). I also usually leave the window open in my room so will that help it at all? Thanks.

Zalmans are for silence and not extreme overclocking. If your sig is right and you still have a TDX WB, you will be disappointed by the Zalman.

Daddyjaxx said:
Zalmans are for silence and not extreme overclocking. If your sig is right and you still have a TDX WB, you will be disappointed by the Zalman.
From what I have read this is true. The Zalman system is made for quiet pc operation. Not overclocking. It doesnt flow enough to do so and doesnt cool well enough to allow what your wanting. Not to mention I've read a few posts about the pumps in these things going out prematurely. If you really want to oc your comp read a few of the posts already made in the last few days. They explain alot. I made a mistake when I started wcing. I bought most of my parts from one source, thermaltake. I will never do anything like this again. I got impatient. Didnt want to wait on parts. Wanted to get my rig up and running. Dont do like me. Do it the right way. If you want cool then build your own wcing system. That is the best advice I can give you.

Oper8or said:
From what I have read this is true. The Zalman system is made for quiet pc operation. Not overclocking. It doesnt flow enough to do so and doesnt cool well enough to allow what your wanting. Not to mention I've read a few posts about the pumps in these things going out prematurely. If you really want to oc your comp read a few of the posts already made in the last few days. They explain alot. I made a mistake when I started wcing. I bought most of my parts from one source, thermaltake. I will never do anything like this again. I got impatient. Didnt want to wait on parts. Wanted to get my rig up and running. Dont do like me. Do it the right way. If you want cool then build your own wcing system. That is the best advice I can give you.

What he said ^^^ Yeah, I suggest returning it if you still can and put together your own custom set up.

The TDX is a pretty good block. Upgrade your rad instead. If you have the space, a small car radiator with very quiet fans will give you great performance and still make less noise than your hard drives or PSU fan. Baseboard heaters are another option. But if you want silence and high performance, any solution is going to be fairly large.

If you want to upgrade the block too, the Swiftech Storm might be good for a C or so.

As has been said before, the Resorator really is for silent operation. However, replacing the pump does a world of good. I've moved my CPU to a separate loop, but after replacing the pump, I cool two overclocked 7800 GTs quite well and in near-silence with just the resorator to dissipate the heat.

Here's a link to a post when I first moddd the res:

www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4293742

PM or email me if you'd like some details on replacing the pump.

Last edited:
aaronjb said:
As has been said before, the Resorator really is for silent operation. However, replacing the pump does a world of good. I've moved my CPU to a separate loop, but after replacing the pump, I cool two overclocked 7800 GTs quite well and in near-silence with just the resorator to dissipate the heat.

Here's a link to a post when I first moddd the res:

www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=441862

PM or email me if you'd like some details on replacing the pump.

I got invalid link. Anyone else?

Never understood why people that mod the reserator try to replace the pump with another tiny one so it will fit inside :confused: I doubt many people move their reserator around much.

If you reeeeaaaally must use a reserator look at the mods people did over at silentpcreview.com's forums. Take out the stock pump, mod the inlet inside the reserator with a length of tubing so you bring the input to the top of the reserator and the output is still at the bottom. This forces more water movement on the surface area of the reserator. This is the biggest temp boost Ive heard of for the reserator.

Just use an external pump and a T line. Eheim 1250 would be nice or better yet two 1048s in series. Both dead quiet and good performance.

How much capacity the system has will vastly depend on your ambient temp of what ever room you have. And air flow, IE. ceiling fan. THats not really passive but whatever :D

Back