• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you wire your 120mm rad fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VballCoach

I was wondering if wiring up dual 120 fans in parallel is ok?
I have 2 80mm led case fans wired in parallel and then hooked up to a 3.5" Vantec fanbus.
would it be ok if I do the same for my 120mm rad fans?
pls post your input. thanks. :cool:

oh the rad fans will be 120x25mm fans....still trying to figure which ones to get for my 2-342 single pass..

Mr. $T$ said:
Parallel is what you want. I wouldn't imagine why anyone would do serial.

I'm asking if it is detrimental to run 120's on a rad wired in parallel on a fanbus. I have already have 2 80mm led fans wired in parallel and on the same 3.5" fanbus.

You need to find the max amperage/watts each channel can support on your fan controller. I know my Sunbeam can support 20W for each channel, meaning I can put roughly 3 120mm's on each channel just as long as they are below 20W.

Bryan d
Watts=Voltage*Amperage

it pretty much depends and how many amps the fans draw and how much your fanbus can handle, i wont recommend it as some fans can draw half an amp.

as for fans i would get 38mm thick ones because a heatercore is a lot thicker then a rad and takes more pressure to pull air though. panaflos are always a good choice.

Most fan contoller channels should be able to handle two 120mm fans just fine, provided they are not some very high cfm Delta tri blades or something. You probably should look up the spec for wattage and amperage on the fans and the controller just to be on the same side so you don't burn out on of the controller channels.

lithker said:
it pretty much depends and how many amps the fans draw and how much your fanbus can handle, i wont recommend it as some fans can draw half an amp.

as for fans i would get 38mm thick ones because a heatercore is a lot thicker then a rad and takes more pressure to pull air though. panaflos are always a good choice.

yeah, I had some real thick aluminum ERTI 115v muffin fans on a dimmer switch. They pulled a lot of cfm thru them but were really loud.

I really want to get this new rig as quiet as possible. I'm not really looking to oc too much...Opty 148 and soon to have 7900gt...

I wanted to try the GlobalWin CS1202512L 120x25 fans on a shroud. I know that I should be using 38mm fans but I want some silence now..

Last edited:
Back