• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator mounting, help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenny_k

Not going to well. I got the mcr220 and radbox and was going to mount it on top of my case. The screws that came with the mcr220 fit the radiator and are good for the fans but are not long enough for the radbox. The ones that come with the radbox dont screw in. The mcr220 has some weird thread and I can't find anyone with that type screw. So I tried using threaded rods to go through the radiator and ended up poking a hole in it.The tubing in the radiator was a hair closer to the holes on one side and I didn't notice it,,bye,bye mcr220. I was looking at the BIP2. Would the radbox fit that and what size screws does that use??

If it's only got one little hole, take it by a radiator repair shop (for cars or motorcycles) and see if they can fix it. It may not be the prettiest thing when they're done with it, but if it works....

You could also try soldering the thing shut yourself. I did so on my pa120.2 and its been working flawlesly for about a moth now 24/7

Sorry to hear of your loss, and this is too late, but.... the mcr220 is threaded for 3.5mm. You can easily rethread them to 6-32. Easiest way is to get one of those common tapered 6-32 case screws, and slowly tighten-loosen-tighten it through the existing hole.

I had the same darn problem so i called swiftech. The guy told me to use 6-32 which I did try, but it was so tight i didn't think they would fit. And he wouldn't tell me what it was tapped for, just that I could use 6-32. He also warned me about the length to make sure i didn't go right through the rad :(. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

skane said:
Sorry to hear of your loss, and this is too late, but.... the mcr220 is threaded for 3.5mm.

is that the only dimension i need to buy those? is it just 3.5mm x (length)?

Last edited:
Yeah, the mcr220 does have a wierd thread. Their website calls it a M3.5?? Certainly nothing you can pick up at the hardware store. I went to a screw and nut place after my local hardware store didn't have that thread. He didn't have anything like it either. He tried both standard and metric. I was going to retap it but he said it might not work tapping one type of thread over another,,hence the rod disaster. Why Swiftech would even thread holes for screws you can't get a local hardware store is beyond me! And not give you any screws with their radbox that would fit their own radiator is another mystery. All the screws they supply with the radbox have a standard thread.

Back