• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1900XT water cooling heat issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tat2monsta

got my maze4 and zalman sinks on my X1900XT card..with a 120mm fan blowing on the sinks. also on the loop is my CPU.. now the temps have never been over 45.. but i just started playing Auto Assault. and after a while temps hit 50.. both card and CPU (same loop) and i start to artifact...my card is real hot to the touch... i took the overclock off and its still doing it.. it seems ok with everything else i play. but Auto Assault is a bit crazy..30+ cars on screen battles. could it be the GPU chip temp doing this? or is it (what i think) the ram and mosfets not being cooled enough? but surly a maze4 and ramsinks is better than the stock cooler. or does that stock cooler cool the ram and that area of the card better?

I'm open to ideas as to maybe separating the loop. so each chip has its own setup. maybe even the new DD X1900XT gpu/ram block..

would using an apogee block on CPU help drop temps and increase the flow a little? as i know the Storm is a little restrictive.. any comments welcome...i wanna play artifact free games. and as i said b4.. the games fine till it hits around 50c. then it starts to go visually poop!

Last edited:
what do the artifacts show up as?

I'm thinking it's the mem if your core is that cool and you previously did not have any core artifacts. are the zalman sinks cool to the touch? are they extremely hot?

I find that the core of my X1900XT is able to stay cool. However, the ram is what gets hot.

You could try reseating your waterblock and make sure you have your fans cranked up on your radiator.

-GearShift3r

I have a Solution for your problem. Contact ViperJohn get some of his Heatsinks or let him pimp your card.

VV-II%20x1900XT%20CFE%20in%20Test%20.jpg

http://imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn

I had a similar issue with freezing. I fixed it by lowering the vddr and vddq below stock and added a side fan to the card. When I did this the card started to work perfectally, in addition to it clocking higher.

Also your temps look fine. I have 39C idle and around 45-47C load on my x1800XL which is also on water.

Just a reminder, watch your PWM temps

veryhumid said:
what do the artifacts show up as?

I'm thinking it's the mem if your core is that cool and you previously did not have any core artifacts. are the zalman sinks cool to the touch? are they extremely hot?

basicly when i first start playing everything is fine.. all hills/buildings look great.. then as it warms up all the hills in the distance start flickering.same with buildings.. everything up close is fine.. its only seems to be things that are some distance away.
and yeah the sinks are pretty warm.. the top of my card (atx setup..flat side of the card) is realy hot..

Gearshift3r...
fans on my rad are alway on full. no controler for them. but there only thermaltake 120mm's that came with the case.. i thought they where 85cfm.. but someone on a dif thread said there barley half that

aDaM...
as for the mighty viperjohn.. i would love to get some sinks like that. (but the prob is... and this could be why) there are free ram banks where my barbs are.. and i had to cut the sinks down a bit to fit them.. low profile maze 4. but i am looking into gettin bigger ones. maybe the new swiftech copper ones. there pretty tall. and try what i mentioned below for the 3 under barbs

would getting one block that is long enough to fit all three ram's with a big over hang work much better?
or even.. get some tall ones like in the viper pik. and bending them out so my tube fits with the sinks around them

Last edited:
Is your radiator large enough? It sounds like your don't have enough heat dissipation since your cpu is also jumping in temps.

epidemic said:
Is your radiator large enough? It sounds like your don't have enough heat dissipation since your cpu is also jumping in temps.

ThermoChill HE120.2

took side off and used a deskfan over the card while hammering AA and it was ok.. it seems like its the ram. im gonna try get some dif fans for rad.. and maybe mod my card a little with some little fans too. ill post piks later. when i found fans ect.. cheers for input guys

Back