• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will 3/8 I.D. 1/2 O.D. wall 1/16 fit on 1/2barb setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Primu$

Will 3/8 I.D.(Inside diameter) 1/2 O.D.(outside diameter) with 1/16 wall fit on\over 1/2" barb setup? has anyone have used this size tubing over 1/2" barbs? Tell me ur experiences and if its difficult to put the hose on!
I just want my next setup to cool just CPU! with a bix or bix2. Just need some quick advice!

1/16" wall is really very thin, not to mention getting 3/8"ID onto 1/2" barbs might simply not work. Given that 7/16" is so cheap from Mcmaster, I would spend the $10 and order tubing. I personally wouldn't go for less than the 7/16" ID 3/32" walled tubing.

Wont work

I have a 1/2" barb laying around and tried to put some of my 3/8" id 1/2" od hose on it,It just won't work I have 3 types of hose laying around. Home Depot, Asetek and Tygon none will work.

I have gotten it to fit over 1/2" barbs before, but it does take some effort. I soaked the ends of tubing in boiling water for about 30 seconds, and then rubbed a small amount of dish soap on the hose barb.

I fit tygon and clearflex 3/8 id 1/2 od over 1/2" barbs before. The "highspeed" ones from DD. Wasnt that hard. Just spit on the barbs and rammed it on.

thx for all the postings, I think i will try at least 3-4ft of this size tubing , i want to because it not thick and chunky looking. If not these are going to the classifieds! I have a medium atx form factor case, I'm trying to fit a bix2 in lol.

Vaio said:
The 7/16 tygon 3603 is far from chunky looking. I would definitely recommend it if you decide to go that route.
I Would definitly want to try 7/16 if its not think, anyone know where to get some of this dimensions? that preferably takes paypal non-cc? =)

1/16 walls is what makes what you ask possible. Used this in an older setup with a mix of 3/8 and 1/2 barbs and went over the 1/2 barbs OK.

As far as mid ATX size case routing 7/16 IME is trickier then 3/8 but certainly not impossible. I've got a BIP2 in a Sonata with 7/16ths cooling cpu and gpu. What I do like about 7/16 over 1/2 barbs is I dont have clamps yet all the connections are leak free.

Last edited:
calvin said:
1/16 walls is what makes what you ask possible. Used this in an older setup with a mix of 3/8 and 1/2 barbs and went over the 1/2 barbs OK.

As far as mid ATX size case routing 7/16 IME is trickier then 3/8 but certainly not impossible. I've got a BIP2 in a Sonata with 7/16ths cooling cpu and gpu. What I do like about 7/16 over 1/2 barbs is I dont have clamps yet all the connections are leak free.

Very nice, I like the idea of a clampless setup for those hose. Well thanks a great deal here ppl, i didnt think this topic would take me more in depth of what i need to know. Thanks OC'ers

I used 1/2" PushOn barbs with all my 7/16" tubing. I bought 20ft of Masterkleer at Mcmaster for $.37/ft. I dont use any clamps with these particular barbs because they have over size barbs on them as compared to the ones you get at Depot. Also, I get most of mine free :)...I know some members will frown at not using clamps but these aren't designed to use clamps. Just make sure you get the tubing over all 3 ridges.

Back