• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding new rad to system, keep old rad in loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legendosiris

Hey all, been out of the loop for a bit. my W/C rig been going strong over a year now. I've got a new case on the way, and figured be a good time to bring in a dual 120rad (thinking BIX probably). I realise i'll probably see minimal gains, but hey its all about pushing the limits right? Well what occurred to me today, is the thought of keeping my single 120 rad in the loop as well (perhaps after the cpu). Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

Old loop = Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Rad -> T-Line and back to pump
Possible new loop -> Pump -> CPU -> 120Rad -> GPU -> 2x120Rad -> T-line and back to pump

Pretty sure sig is up to date with rig items. New mobo and cpu coming soon, but thats an easy swap.

New case (more room to finally fit a dual 120 rad in):
11-133-155-10.JPG

I wouldn't. IMO, the pressure drop you're going to get simply isn't worth what meager increase in cooling you MIGHT get. Your BIX II is likely going to have enough surface area to service what you're cooling.

I'm on the same boat. Sounds like a great idea to upgrade your rad, but as long as your doing that then do just that, ditch the old one. Like Perseus said you will get a pressure drop with the added resistance and it wouldnt help your temps.

If you have all the time in the world do some real tests and see where a second rad in the loop gets you, then you can be sure.

citronym said:
I'm on the same boat. Sounds like a great idea to upgrade your rad, but as long as your doing that then do just that, ditch the old one. Like Perseus said you will get a pressure drop with the added resistance and it wouldnt help your temps.

If you have all the time in the world do some real tests and see where a second rad in the loop gets you, then you can be sure.

We've all got time, but who wants to replumb their rig 2-3x in one week :p

Thx for the insight, i'll drop the old one in the spare parts bin..maybe its time to w/c the closet server..hrmm

Back