• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question for all apogee owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

How far did you tighten down your barbs? I don't want to over do it and strip them as I did on my res, so i'm taking a moment to double check with everyone. I tried to make two red lines showing the gab between the top of the block and the flare of the barb. You can just barely make out the o-ring. Do I need to tighten all the way down or is this good?

sfxeah.jpg

Don't panic dude, you need to tight it enough so it doesn't twist open by the hose and it doesn't leak. What does it mean? Hand strength and then just another fraction of a turn with a wrench or pliers. Be careful ;)

Do you need to use plumbers tape on the barbs as well? I could also imagine the same tightening rules go for other parts as well?

okay, i won't go any more. I hand tightened, then maybe 1/8 of a turn. This time i'm not panicked ;) I was when i first stripped the barbs on my res, though, haha.

ziggo0 said:
Do you need to use plumbers tape on the barbs as well? I could also imagine the same tightening rules go for other parts as well?

I was told by Gabe at Swiftech that tape was unecessary when you have an o-ring. He told me that the servers at swiftech, all water-cooled of course, don't have any tape or goop on the blocks that use o-ring barbs.

I agree with Flip. I tightened the barbs by hand and then a little bit of a turn with a wrench to make sure the o-ring was compressed and the barb was secure. BTW, I didn't use any tape on my threads and my system has been up and running mostly 24/7 for a few months now.

I have barbs with ring on my rad but I couldn't tight it far enough for it not to leak without Teflon tape but the thread is metal so it might be the problem.

Back