• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoreGamer

I was working on buying tubing for my new kit...and i realized how many different sizes there were, and Id like to make sure I have the right stuff before I order. Is 1/2" ID 3/4" OD the right tubing for an apogee and rad 1/2 Fittings?And should I get the 1/2 OD Coolsleeves or the 5/8 Ones?

ID is what u need to match your compents

1/2 id or 7/16 (what i use) for 1/2 barbs (apogee etc)

i think coolsleeves goes by OD..unsure

That is the right size tubing. I don't know about the coolsleeves since I don't use them. I wouldn't think you would need them since that tubing is thick walled.

You should consider the 7/16x5/8 tubing. It's easier to work with and more closely matches the ID of 1/2 fittings.

I've had nothing but good things to say about 1/2 and 3/4 on the other hand, I had TERRIBLE kinking problems 1/2 and 5/8 tubing. Even with coolsleeves there was still some minor kinking, I repeat, do NOT get 5/8, I had my 3/4 running on tighter turns without coolsleves and it still was out performing. I would recommend tygon 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD tubing, and though I'm sure there are other good subsitutes, that's what I've been using for a couple months now and it is extremely easy to work with and does not kink over time. Though it is a bit more expensive if you're going to make the plunge into watercooling, why not make sure to do it right?

Brinnswift said:
I've had nothing but good things to say about 1/2 and 3/4 on the other hand, I had TERRIBLE kinking problems 1/2 and 5/8 tubing. Even with coolsleeves there was still some minor kinking, I repeat, do NOT get 5/8, I had my 3/4 running on tighter turns without coolsleves and it still was out performing. I would recommend tygon 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD tubing, and though I'm sure there are other good subsitutes, that's what I've been using for a couple months now and it is extremely easy to work with and does not kink over time. Though it is a bit more expensive if you're going to make the plunge into watercooling, why not make sure to do it right?

Yup, PrimoFlex is the BEST tubing.... Pwnz MasterKleer , Tygon.... everything.

CoreGamer said:
Oh I see...so would I get the 1/2 ID 3/4 OD? Or the 1/2 ID 5/8 OD?
1/2 ID 3/4 OD or 7/16 ID 5/8 OD. The walls of the 1/2 ID 5/8 OD are too thin for the diameter and you'll have problems with kinking.

7/16 ID 5/8 OD is smaller and has a tighter bend radius. It should work as well or better than 1/2" ID tubing in systems with less than 7 feet or so of tubing because the ID matches the ID of 1/2" barbs more closely, reducing turbulence.

1/2 ID 3/4 OD is the stuff to get if you have a long way to go. Because the walls are thicker, you'll also have lower permeation losses. A tiny amount of coolant will go right through the tubing. This happens so slowly that the coolant will evaporate long before a drip can form, but you will have to top off the system every so often. The thicker the walls, the lower the permeation rate, and the longer you can go between refills.

S**t Noone was responding so I bought the 5/8 Yesterday :( and I know this is a noob question, but what REALLY is kinking? I have a vague idea but im not sure.

Its when a bend in the tubing collapses and greatly restricts waterflow. If you have any tight/sharp turns, that is where you are most prone to kinking...

Ah I see, Hopefully the clearsleeves will help. If I run into too many problems ill have to order 3/4OD but I really dont want to have to order than again. Thanks for all your help. Ill probably start a worklog in another thread with pics soon

Why waste money on cool sleeves when with 1/2" copper crimp rings and boiling water will fix your crimps and only cost $3.25 and looks so much better?

Example

You can find them at any hardware store, and they are fairly cheap.

How to do:
1. Boil water in a large pot on stove.
2. Place the rings on the tubing about 1 every inch of the area where the bend will be.
3. While holding the tube bent, dip in boiling water for 3-5 seconds covering the bend completely.
4. Place tubing (still bent) in cool water.
5. Let cool on a table (make sure bend stays, place between 2 large books to hold the bend in place).
6. Slide copper off.
7. Perfect bend.

See pict for example of bend and copper rings.
That bend originally fit from one GPU to the 2nd GPU before I reworked the tubing. I was able to get tighter bends by doing this.

Attachments

• P3300217.JPG
    P3300217.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 107
or...... You just buy primoflex. I'm telling you guys once you use Primoflex youll never use anything else ever again.

-aDaM^ said:
or...... You just buy primoflex. I'm telling you guys once you use Primoflex youll never use anything else ever again.

Sorry :), but my 7/16" ID, 11/16" OD, 1/8" walled Tygon 3603 has a 1 3/8" bend radius--Primoflex can't touch it.

The only problem with that size Tygon is that no one appears to sell it by the foot; so if you really need it (and I did) the only way to get it is to buy a whole roll. And, I don't think too many people would spend $155 for 50' of tubing when they only really need 5' of it. I've still got enough tubing left for my next 5-6 water cooling projects ;)

If you're looking for a very good, much lower cost, alternative, try the 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD MasterKleer from McMaster-Carr. When comparing price to performance, it can't be beat.

Edit: This is the second time I've posted this old thread today, but if you really want to see what good tubing can do, take a look at the picture I posted in post #6.

Last edited:
Actually....my clearflex were cheaper than those rings.. and much less hassle :p

MVC said:
Sorry :), but my 7/16" ID, 11/16" OD, 1/8" walled Tygon 3603 has a 1 3/8" bend radius--Primoflex can't touch it.

The only problem with that size Tygon is that no one appears to sell it by the foot; so if you really need it (and I did) the only way to get it is to buy a whole roll. And, I don't think too many people would spend $155 for 50' of tubing when they only really need 5' of it. I've still got enough tubing left for my next 5-6 water cooling projects ;)

If you're looking for a very good, much lower cost, alternative, try the 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD MasterKleer from McMaster-Carr. When comparing price to performance, it can't be beat.

Edit: This is the second time I've posted this old thread today, but if you really want to see what good tubing can do, take a look at the picture I posted in post #6.

Actully primoflex out performs Tygon 3603, sir.

Back