• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcw6000 on a video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DickH

Im thinking about redoing my loop, switching out the modified mcw600 im using for an apogee, and changing out my home made gpu waterblock. The waterblock I made works fine, but im not happy with how it turned out. I have been thinking about doing more modifications to the 6000 to get it to work on my 6800gt and possibly a 7900gt later this summer. How well will that block work on a gpu?

If you cant get it mounted Im sure it would perform just fine, namely because the Inlet would be focused right above the core which no GPU blocks are.

Mounting would be your problem though. You cant drill through the block and it would cover all mounting holes. You could solder/weld some threaded rods in the right location but you might destroy the block in the process...

well the plan wasd to take off the top and buy a copper cap to cover the middle section. I was going to cut off the pins on the corners and drill mounting holes so the block is directly screwed over the gpu. Inlet/outlet will be from copper tubing that are connected on the side that will be facing upward. I need a low profile block, and all other low profile blocks that I would consider using are too tall.

Well coregamer, its the other way arround, I have a solid way of mounting it, but im not sure how well it would work. This is what I am using now, it works, but that mounting is a pain.
IMG_0584.jpg

DickH said:
Well coregamer, its the other way arround, I have a solid way of mounting it, but im not sure how well it would work. This is what I am using now, it works, but that mounting is a pain.
IMG_0584.jpg

talk about compact :eek:

I actually think its plenty of room, I just have to think about what goes where and then I make it fit. I honestly dont see how some of you guys with your full size stuff have problems fitting everything in when I have a tight little system with no problems. So will the 6000 work as is, or should I stick some copper strips between the pins or something to make it move arround more? Would I even notice a difference?

The performance advantage you'd get from sticking a mcw6000 on a vidcard in place of a normal GPU block is the inlet over the core. If you rebuild the block how that one in the picture I doubt you'll get better performance than a Maze4 or the new swifty GPU block...

jamesavery22 said:
The performance advantage you'd get from sticking a mcw6000 on a vidcard in place of a normal GPU block is the inlet over the core. If you rebuild the block how that one in the picture I doubt you'll get better performance than a Maze4 or the new swifty GPU block...

I agree with you, but maybe hes trying to save money. I allways attempt to resuse before i purchase something new.

Perium said:
I agree with you, but maybe hes trying to save money. I allways attempt to resuse before i purchase something new.

Agree 100%. From his first post he sounded like he was asking about performance though, not just if it would work.

For those interested in knowing the new swiftech block(the MCW 60) is basically an apogee set up for GPUs it has the same base and the inlet come in at roughly the same place they just have to go through more delrin to get there.

well do you guys know of any block that will sit low enough for what I need that wont cost a ton?

DickH said:
IMG_0584.jpg
What I ment was that if you got it mounted, it would work well enough to cool your VC

Ok, well here is the general idea, its not a perfect model, measurements were guessed and I actually have no idea how dense the pins are, but it should show the idea. I will remove the cover of a block, clear out the corner pins and drill holes that will be used for the mounting of the block. I'll find a way to stick an arc in the middle of the block to keep water from going straight through. I will find/make a copper cap that will fit over the top as shown, and solder it in place. Then the idea is to have some sort of in/out on the sides.

6000-gpu.jpg

Thoughts... suggestions?

Deal if it will really hurt, but my current block is a lot more restrictive then that and everything works just fine.

OK, looks like S_Wilson of these forums is going to be a great deal of help and sell me a block to do this with, so within a few days of recieving the block, I should have some pics/results for you guys. Now can anyone think of a way to improve the block? I only have one proper shot at this and I would like to try to get the most out of it.

In the model does the flow go from left to right? I surely hope it's not the other way, as that doesn't seem like a very good idea. I haven't really thought about the design, but just glancing at it, it doesn't look too bad to me.

Back