• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about keep old rad in loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haste266

I'm using a Swiftech ultra apex w/cing kit right now...i will soon have both my 7800gtx 512MBs under water also(next week). using a stasis thermal block on one card and a swiftech mcw60 on the other.
i just got a thermochill HE120.3 rad and am wondering if it would be beneficial to keep my swiftech mcr-220 rad in the loop(2 rads total). would there be too much pressure loss putting another rad in the loop? one advantage i was think is low noise...keep all the fans at 5v and still get really good temps..

here is the setup i was thinking of.

thermochill rad->cpu->mcr220 rad->GPUs->res->mcp655, repeat.

any suggestions/comments?

cause the swiftech one is ugly, and thermochill has enough capacity to cool Peltied CPU and SLi, so you dont need 2 :)

There's like 17 other threads about using multiple radiators and how it reduces flow therefore worse results. Even if you did get the flow higher, it's also been shown in the other threads that adding another radiator still wouldn't help much at all. If you'd like to be the testbed for finding out the truth, go ahead =)

1 HE120.3 is so much radiator its rediculous. I would honestly say that the MCR220 has enough cooling potential for your loop, but yet you went one more and got the HE120.3. If you use good fans, your gonna have all the rad you need. Throwing in more components reduces flow, increases pressure drop and adds more tubing. If I had to guess I would say adding the second rad would at best drop the temps a degree, maybe 2. If you really want to see for yourself, give it a try, but even the seasoned watercoolers here would stick with a single rad in most cases.

citronym said:
1 HE120.3 is so much radiator its rediculous. I would honestly say that the MCR220 has enough cooling potential for your loop, but yet you went one more and got the HE120.3. If you use good fans, your gonna have all the rad you need. Throwing in more components reduces flow, increases pressure drop and adds more tubing. If I had to guess I would say adding the second rad would at best drop the temps a degree, maybe 2. If you really want to see for yourself, give it a try, but even the seasoned watercoolers here would stick with a single rad in most cases.

thats what i was saying, but im too lazy to write all that out :-/

The purpose of being here is to share the info. 1 lined responses and lines like 'i was gonna say france' irritate me.

citronym said:
The purpose of being here is to share the info. 1 lined responses and lines like 'i was gonna say france' irritate me.

Oh i share lots on info and insight, dont get your panties in a bunch little boy :)

citronym said:

yes, same here. i read quite a few of adams other posts from other threads and he seems to do that a lot.

thanks citronym for your response. i will probably try out the HE by itself first and see how it does. if i have to keep the fans up though i might throw the 2nd rad in for silence purposes...

Haste266 said:
yes, same here. i read quite a few of adams other posts from other threads and he seems to do that a lot.

thanks citronym for your response. i will probably try out the HE by itself first and see how it does. if i have to keep the fans up though i might throw the 2nd rad in for silence purposes...

As it was said, the HE is more then enough rad.
Actually I think even the MCR would have taken that heat...

Flip-Mode said:
As it was said, the HE is more then enough rad.
Actually I think even the MCR would have taken that heat...

MCR isnt keeping my current setup quite as cool as I would like(just one gpu). especially in a warmer room. its not as quiet as I would like either. i got a really good deal on the HE so i couldnt pass it up.

Haste266 said:
...quite as cool as I would like...not as quiet as I would like either...
Thats the only logical reason to use a larger rad, as long as you understand that the temps you have now are probably perfectly healthy.

well there is one reason to add a second rad
having two rads in teh loop allow you to use less noisy fans. With two rads and slower fans it can allow you to have really good temps with less noise. I was considering it as well but then decided that 53 both core load temps werent that bad (cooling the gpu and chipset as well)

but like i said it has the potential to allow for more quiet opperations

I havent done my reading on this topic, but why not run the rads in parralle rather then series. That should fix the flow issue?

Stratus_ss said:
well there is one reason to add a second rad
having two rads in teh loop allow you to use less noisy fans. With two rads and slower fans it can allow you to have really good temps with less noise. I was considering it as well but then decided that 53 both core load temps werent that bad (cooling the gpu and chipset as well)
It might let you use quieter fans but at the expense of flow, and with that cooling potential. If your going for quiet then temps are harder to work with. IMO the only time 2 rads makes sense is 2 small 120 rads in a seriously space limited enclosure.

Perium said:
I havent done my reading on this topic, but why not run the rads in parralle rather then series. That should fix the flow issue?
One of the rads would see a considerably different amount of flow than the other. Flow through the rad is important.

man, im torn on what i should do.
i think i may just try the 120.3 first and see how it works. if i cant keep the fans as quiet as i would like i'll try adding the other rad later.

Back