• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolant disposal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alchemy1

I am going to be upgrading both my video card and WC'ing system in a month or so (7900GT/Maze 4), but I want to know how should I go about disposing of the coolant when the time comes? I am currently running dex-cool in my loop right now.

I dont know what other people do, but I empty my tubing out into a coke bottle and throw it away.

citronym said:
My local auto parts dealers accept it for proper disposal.

This is what I figured. I don't want to dispose of this stuff inappropriately and pose a danger to any small children or animals.

I realize it is supposed to an appropriate collection point, but frankly I just flush it down the commode.

voigts said:
I realize it is supposed to an appropriate collection point, but frankly I just flush it down the commode.

I know that water is treated, but I want to be as environmentally friendly as possible and didn't know if it is okay to just flush the coolant.

Well it's a matter of numbers. You wouldn't be the first to dump it down the drain, and won't be the last, and your waste likely would be negligable to the rest of coolant in the water drain system. However it is strongly advised by both government officials and environmental groups to dispose of it at a qualified disposal site, such as an auto parts store (I have no clue where else, perhaps mechanic shops or such). If your being environmentally conscious, def do the right thing and call your local pep boys and ask them what the deal is.

Since I'm using distilled water, with a small amount of rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of dish soap, the sink is just fine for me. :D:D

steve

I may be wrong here, but coolant is no more dangerous or environmently unfriendly than bleach, ammonia, Clorox or any other of those chemicals that are used to clean with.

The issue with coolant, is it's sweet taste, and it is also poisonous. Because of this, it attracts children, cats and dogs.

steve

i though the collant didnt need any special disposal. I just dump it on the side of my house. I guess ill start collecting it in containers and brining it in when i do my oil/paint disposal trips.

Thanks

i would recommend using PG(propylene glycol) Antifreeze. you can find this stuff in any store and is considered non-toxic compared to EG(ethylene glycol) antifreeze and works just as well.

please dont just dump eg antifreeze down the drain. this stuff is very toxic and needs to be disposed of correctly. its been found in dead animals around the world because of improper disposal.

A lot of people do use other "non-toxic" coolants, but I just bought what I could find. I don't have any pets...hell, I don't even have any plants...lol. So, it didn't really matter to me. However, "non-toxic" coolants are good for people who have pets and or children. I think there is a post about how toxic EG coolant is.

Alchemy1 said:
A lot of people do use other "non-toxic" coolants, but I just bought what I could find. I don't have any pets...hell, I don't even have any plants...lol. So, it didn't really matter to me. However, "non-toxic" coolants are good for people who have pets and or children. I think there is a post about how toxic EG coolant is.

word, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440287

Back