• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microcenter can die

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I thought I would redo my loop and put everything inside my case instead of the external setup I had and I wanted a single DD 5 1/4" res. I knew I had seen one at Microcenter, so I drive over and they are out of stock. I'm poking around the clearance table and low and behold, there sits one for 19.95, so I scoop it up.

I get home, set everything up and start to fill it when I notice drip, drip on the outbound side. It was one of those slow drips. It would have to be on the worst side to work with. So I keep trying to stop it without having to drain the damn system, but I couldn't.

Now I had to try to figure out the best way to drain it and I figured the TDX was ny best option. I take the clamp off and the hose seems welded on there. Those new barbs DD has probably don't need a clamp they are so tight, so I cut it off and used needle nose to get the remnant off.

I drain it and start taking the res out and I'm thinking these hoses seem kind of loose. I get it out and figure out the problem. It's a 3/8" res, not a 1/2", even though that's what the box said. Apparently, some numbnuts bought the wrong one from DD and then bought this one, and played the old switcheroo. Now I'm back on a T going through the 2 day ritual of bleeding it.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the hard drives. The Stacker 830 only has 9 bays and the BIX2 takes up 6 of them + CD + Floppy + fan controller, they're all gone. I'd kill the floppy, but I have two hard drives.

Also, if anybody is interested, I'll have a DD double heater core and shroud in the classified. It's about 1/4" too wide to fit in the front of the case.

At least you have a microcenter nearby. I have to plan when I can go to the one off of Delk road once a month when I go to Ft. Gillem from TN for Army Reserve drill.

Heh, I have to drive 40miles if I just want Articsilver.....meh rather just order it.

Anyway,yeah you got screwed on that deal...And by the sounds of the DD res, its not quite friendly....

well... you could just order a new set of barbs for it, in fact, PM me your address and i have a set of 1/2" DD barbs just sitting here from an old block that the top cracked on - these are the 9/16 threaded barbs, not the new G 1/4 ones (i'm assuming that ure res uses the 9/16 ones)

Appreciate the offer, but I'm just returning it. I had a couple of the older 1/2" barbs from a couple of fillports, but they wouldn't fit. I guess the res had the new G 1/4.

NEVER buy items from the microcenter clearance. They're always in bad condition, at least in the microcenter i've been to. most of the items there aren't even labelled or anything, just thrown in a giant basket with no boxes, just bare items. heatsinks without the TIM wiped clean, on top of more fragile objects, it's rediculous.

I dont have any tech store around, all I have is circuit cities and best buys around here and they only sell general stuff

Taking forever to bleed. I don't think I'll ever get all of the air from the rad. I shake it and they come out and then go back in. I have it tilted now, hopefully that will help.

Back