• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 loop or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gix330

Registered
hi guys, need some help on my w/c project:

AMD 64 X2 4400+
Nvidia GeFroce 7900 GT X2
Asus A8E-SLi Deluxe
WD Raptor 74GB X1
160GB SATA X4 (Raid 0+1)

So if I want to cool the CPU, Chip, GPU X2, and also my HDDs, should I use 1 loop set up or use 2? If i need to do 2, should I make the CPU,GPU*2 one and Chip, HDD the other?

BTW: If to cool only the Raptor, could it be 1 loop? but I need 3*120mm Rad? Now i have Swiftech 2*120mm Rad with Danger Den D5 pump, the whole tubing is 1/2"

Thx

1. Pointless to watercool your HDDs.

2. 1 loop is fine for CPU > GPU > Chipset, you're gonna need a BIX-3 / Thermochill 120.3

i see...so you are saying that the Swiftech MCR220 is actually not gonna work on this setting? or i really need a better Rad like 120*3 Rad?

BTW.. is BIX2 and Thermochill 120*2 better than Swiftech MCR220?

What about the HWLabs BIX III at Directron for $49.99?

gix330 said:
What about the HWLabs BIX III at Directron for $49.99?

HWLabs BIX-3 is an amazing rad and would be perfect for your needs.

BTW.. is BIX2 and Thermochill 120*2 better than Swiftech MCR220?

Yes, MCR220 isnt comparable to them.

Thx, Adam, i wonder if i could add your AIm? :p

so one more nooby question. could i use 1/2" to 3/8" barb to connect the tubing to the 3/8" Res? will this effect the performance? or it actually doenst matter?

blah...more and more questions.
I have the U2-UFO case, I could attach the BIX3 Rad to those big 3 120mm fan slots, but should I do intake or outtake? or for better air flow i need to do both?
I was thinking amont then like dis: lol...........could I take the one intake fan out, so make it 3 intake and 2 outtake?
-> l ->
inside -> l outside
-> l ->

gix330 said:
Thx, Adam, i wonder if i could add your AIm? :p

so one more nooby question. could i use 1/2" to 3/8" barb to connect the tubing to the 3/8" Res? will this effect the performance? or it actually doenst matter?

This will restrict your flow quite a bit. I suggest just getting a res that's 1/2". I guarantee you'll be much happier with it. :)

otogrim said:
This will restrict your flow quite a bit. I suggest just getting a res that's 1/2". I guarantee you'll be much happier with it. :)

I think you are right, but i just like those 3/8" Res, lol...i will go for a 1/2" res instead, I was about to get this 1/2" Circle Res from Mountain Mods http://mountainmods.com/product_info.php?products_id=218
I wonder if this ok or i need some better res...for me i guess they are all the same, aint they?

if you have the money and you want silence and plan on cooling all of that i would drop the HD cooler still and go 2 loops with a large case. if you hav ea budget i would also drop chipset and go 1 loop

-aDaM^ said:
1. Pointless to watercool your HDDs.

2. 1 loop is fine for CPU > GPU > Chipset, you're gonna need a BIX-3 / Thermochill 120.3
It's not pointless too watercool the HDDs if you want to cover them up in foam for silence ;)

-aDaM^ said:
its pointless and silly.
This is just another one of his rambling, opinionated and senseless posts.

Watercooling objects like NBs and HDDs are not necessary for the avg wc/oc'er. Thats from saying that there isn't people and situations where it would be ideal, especially in a fanless system. If your set on cooling all that equipment and have the money 2 loops would def be better. All the components on one loop would be restrictive, but could def be done. If you ran a single loop, I think you could get away with a MCR220 rad using strong fans, but the temps might not be as nice as you'd like. Using a 120.3 rad would def help that, but again I dont know that it would be completely necessary. HDDs and NBs don't put out much heat compared to 2 GPUs and a CPU.

Just my thoughts.

citronym said:
This is just another one of his rambling, opinionated and senseless posts.

Watercooling objects like NBs and HDDs are not necessary for the avg wc/oc'er. Thats from saying that there isn't people and situations where it would be ideal, especially in a fanless system. If your set on cooling all that equipment and have the money 2 loops would def be better. All the components on one loop would be restrictive, but could def be done. If you ran a single loop, I think you could get away with a MCR220 rad using strong fans, but the temps might not be as nice as you'd like. Using a 120.3 rad would def help that, but again I dont know that it would be completely necessary. HDDs and NBs don't put out much heat compared to 2 GPUs and a CPU.

Just my thoughts.

NB and HDD is totally different, youll notice SOME difference cooling the chipset.... but cooling the harddrive is retarded.

and I know this from experience, so unless you got raw data to back up what you say, stafoo.

The only reason I would even consider cooling my HDDs is for bragging rights that I'm cooling everything that can be cooled with water :p Same thing with the Chipset cooler, I would not bother just because the results will probably not be worth the cost of the blocks and the restriction of the system. If you're dead set on having a second loop I would keep the CPU and GPUs in one loop and give that better components and such (IE strong pump, bigger rad, etc) and put the Chipset and HDDs on a smaller loop since they don't produce much heat at all, atleast to the point where you need a powerful wc loop to cover them. Good luck!

well...thx guys....but i am getting more and more confused. lol...cant decide wut to do at this point.
I thought a DD D5 could have enough power to cool down the whole kit, 1 CPU, 2 GPU and 1 Chip with a 120mm*3 BIX III, but from some of your opinions, seems like I have to take the chip away. So this leave me a no choise but to cool the HDD also to make 2 loops. otherwise i dont know wut to do with the chipblock and the swiftech 120mm*2 rad.
signz...decision decision!!!! :bang head

but cooling the harddrive is retarded

ok so daiichi sound studio and great movie inc are stupid companies for me doing just that for them?

again you have stated opinions and presented them as facts based on your idea of what is " retarded" be a bit more objective to other ways and you will find out most things are not black and white such as facts and are shades of grey

Back