• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you do when teflon tape won't cut it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

My first rig was running great until I noticed a small drop of water forming on the inlet to my rad. So today I drain enough water out to remove that barb, and just about doubled the amount of tape I originally had on it. Even with the 7-8 layers, droplets still form. The rad is the swiftech 220 QP and the barb is a standard clear nylon one that many places sell. I think it is even a swiftech part. Anyway, at this point i don't even care if it is permanent, I just want a reliable system.

What can I use on the threads? Any tips for using it?

Thank you SO much!

Yeah, but loctite makes it next to impossible to get the two parts apart short of using a wrench. That on nylon may be a little too much, depends on what you are looking for.

I'd first off look into getting some metal barbs, then some blue (please not red) loctite. Apply as the directions say then because the barbs are metal you could torque them down a bit to get a good seal. Let sit for a day and your set.

veryhumid said:
okay, seems like I have a lot of options. Have any of you ever used "plumber's goop"? what exactly is it?

aye I've used it before on a leeky res, it actully works really good.

That's what it is called, though? Like I can walk into the hardware store and ask for plumber's goop? Is it a kind of epoxy or what?

Last edited:
veryhumid said:
That's what it is called, though? Like I can walk into the hardware store and ask for plummer's goop? Is it a kind of epoxy or what?

Ya just ask for Plumbers Goop, its comes in a Green colored Tube.

Teflon tape was never intended for this application, unless you are using threaded metal pipe. A much better solution is a teflon 'goop' like RectorSeal. Sold at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I've done a *lot* of plumbing and have never heard of Plumbers Goop. Note the Caps. On the other hand, plumbers goop is intended to fill spaces in connectors.

I assumed "plumber's goop" was a brand or product name, that's why I used the caps. Is plumber's goop suitable for sealing plastic on plastic?

standard Teflon tape is normally good only for DRY applications( air, gas, vacuum, etc)
FYI the more you put tape the worst will get. 2-3 layers should be about right thickens.

for liquids better solutions is Pipe Thread Sealant ( basically they are liquid Teflon solution that can fill in much better and they get hard after some time.
hardware store> plumbing department will have some ~$3 for small tube

Other solution would be to use Hose clamp if problem is between hose and barb fitting.

if it's the barb fitting itself than:
you can try to replace barb fitting with little larger one< it's same size but when they produce parts some are under the tolerance and some are larger. for that you have to have calipers to messure the outside size.

as above said RTV seal will work also very well ( blue is lighter and easy to clean up Vs red harder and more long lasting solution). make sure your surfaces are clean ( no water, oil, dirt, etc)

also make sure that dripping is not caused by temp difference and your hoses are what they call sweating.

if none of this can fix your problem let me know and we will find wright solution for you.

Pipe Thread Sealant=plumber's goop. Plumber's goop is just the slang name for it. Pipe thread sealant works very well, although it can be somewhat messy. I use RTV for everything, and it works very well especially when sealing plastic to plastic, although it can be used for just about anything.

how far do you have the barb screwed in?

could there possibly be a crack in the barb thats causing the leak?

voigts said:
Pipe Thread Sealant=plumber's goop. Plumber's goop is just the slang name for it. Pipe thread sealant works very well, although it can be somewhat messy. I use RTV for everything, and it works very well especially when sealing plastic to plastic, although it can be used for just about anything.

I am also a big fan of RTV good sealant dries in a few hours unlike "Plumbers goop". BTW I am also a hater or nylon barbs.

Let me tell you a story, once upon a time EC had a WCing rig with Nylon fittings then one day <Poof> <Buzz> <Sparks> <smoke> <Sounds of screaming laced with profanity> The end.

i use teflon past for water pipes it`s white it does not get hard ... the pipe dope does it is gray and for water ...i never use the tape

do you want to keep the barbs removable? I'd say be safe and get brass barbs. then solder them in so you'll get no leaks whatsoever..so long an you 'sweat' them in nicely and don't over heat the rad.

if you don't go that route, then go with liquid teflon imo.

The reason I use RTV is because it creates a strong water-tite bond, that in the end can easily be removed. The only problem I have ever had with RTV is that it does not bond well to glossy plastic surfaces. Make sure both surfaces are roughed.

I used RTV when I switched my lucite maze3 from 3/8 to 1/2, and when I pulled the plastic 1/2 barbs out last month they broke free immediately.

There surely is better sealant/adhesives, but this one has proven to be less than permanent for myself.

Sneaky said:
how far do you have the barb screwed in?

could there possibly be a crack in the barb thats causing the leak?

Nope, definitely not that far. There are probably about 2 threads left.

Electron Chaser said:
I am also a big fan of RTV good sealant dries in a few hours unlike "Plumbers goop". BTW I am also a hater or nylon barbs.

Let me tell you a story, once upon a time EC had a WCing rig with Nylon fittings then one day <Poof> <Buzz> <Sparks> <smoke> <Sounds of screaming laced with profanity> The end.

So is the RTV sealant a teflon sealant? I'm definitely going to pick some blue RTV up and give that a shot tonight. I'll check while i'm down there for a brass fitting instead of the nylon one, too.

BokiOverclocker said:
if none of this can fix your problem let me know and we will find the right solution for you.

thanks, I'll definitely let you guys know tonight.

Plumber's Goop and Marine Goop are brand names for a clear silicone based sealant. You can find them at Lowe's/Depot. The word Goop is in large white letters on the tube's label.
Stuff works great. I will say that it might hold a little too well with those semi-clear polypropylene barbs though...I've twisted a barb in half using a wrench to remove one, but it was truly watertight for months beforehand. :D
The Goop brand has two drawbacks, it's able to leave marks on plexiglass before it dries, powerfull solvent in there. And when the tube gets older, it's hard to work quickly enough before it starts to congeal because it dries so fast.

I just use clear CRC brand silicone sealant in the cheeze-whiz style can for threads. Watertight and removable. Works a treat on my barbs of the same type.

Back