• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Ice Rad & Manchester 3800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverfoot

Switching to H20, finaly (though I am by no means wanting with my current air config )

My question, is getting the Black Ice III going to make a significant difference compared to a Black Ice II on my current setup? Obviously bigger is better because of more cooling capability, but I imagine there is a point where it stops making a difference.

The new case i am getting can accomodate either, but if I can save money and get the same performance, why not. and it'd be one less fan and more pressure with the BIPII.

All the other components are keyed down, I am just left wondering about the rad.

Silverfoot said:
My question, is getting the Black Ice III going to make a significant difference compared to a Black Ice II on my current setup?

Don't know about significant but big rad allows you to use slower fans which would be important to me: 3 very slow (at 5V) fans can move the same amount of air then 1 fast fan but the noise levels would be much lower. So if you need silence, take the bigger rad.

The Black Ice Xtreme models are designed with higher CFM fans. However, higher CFM usually means more noise. The Black Ice Pro models on the other hand, are designed for lower CFM fans. You may see a small drop in performance, depending on how much heat load you have. Also, people who want to build quiet setups generally go for the Black Ice Pro.

If you're stuck between a 120.2 and 120.3 radiator, don't worry. You will not recieve a large if any performance boost with a larger radiator. In a scenario with two video cards, a cpu, and a northbridge being watercooled is when you would need a 120.3.

I would suggest that you get a Black Ice Xtreme II instead of III. It will save you some money and it is easier to mount.

-GearShift3r

GearShift3r said:
*snip*...Also, people who want to build quiet setups generally go for the Black Ice Pro.

*snip*...I would suggest that you get a Black Ice Xtreme II instead of III. It will save you some money and it is easier to mount.

-GearShift3r

Thanks :) For the time being it is only the X2 3800. My vid card does not warrent the need for watercooling, it is very quiet with the moderate over-clock. The NB on this Mobo has the heatpipe that works very well and looks cool, so.

Looks like Black Ice Pro II is the choice for me, as I do want it quiet as possible.

Thanks again guys :cool:

Back