• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding farm sized (ie multi cpu) cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
I have a folding farm with 16 caseless p4 HT/DC (all OC'ed) rigs on open shelving in a small basement storage room. It has outside ventilation in through a 200 cfm fan.
Winter temps make it an intake. Once outside temps increase, i will switch the fan to exhaust.

I want to put together a cooling system that will let me keep my overclocks and all rigs going all summer without killing me on central air costs.

So I am thinking of a large scale (16 rig) water cooling setup.

I will already have my 920 and soon to arrive 930 on water. Am thinking i will do a bunch of homemade ghetto waterblocks for the other rigs.

I am thinking that a exterior rad/evap system is what i want to design and build. Since global warming seems to be here, i may want to supplement rad cooling with an evap and/or a chiller system.

For a chiller, i have an unused dehumidifier i was thinking would be useful. Am also thinking of using fresh cold water supply (at some trickle rate) that could be used to supply a cold source cheaply. Current cold water supply temps are a little over 40F ... am guessing should stay sub 50 F in summer.

An evap or cold water feed approach would require some kind of heat exchanger so that the cpu loops would be a closed loop, and an open loop for evap/cold water feed.

To economize on electricity, I will probably swap out a few northwoods and prescotts for fewer DC rigs. Currently all is intel and will likely stick with intel for now since it makes my farm management simpler with a fairly homogeneous set of rigs/mobos. I also expect to switch out some for Conroe rigs but likely much later in the year when prices get resonable. Possibly AMD's depending how the race plays out and their folding performance.

I am thinking that during the late spring, summer, early fall, the heat exchange will be outside the house, and i will possibly move it inside in the winter to offset heating costs.

I am just starting my research so any thoughts, links would be muchly appreciated!

Last edited:
Cooling your farm from the cold water line would use too much water. Even if you could afford it, it would be environmentally indefensible. But why not just keep using the same water? Run some copper tubing under the ground down below the frost line and it will get cooled the same way your cold water supply does. The other big advantage to this method is that you can use distilled water with an anticorrosive additive. That will be much easier on your CPU blocks than chlorinated tap water.

I think it's recommended to pour a concrete pad around the copper to provide more surface area, the idea being that concrete will conduct heat better than earth. Don't take my word on that part, though, because I haven't seriously researched it.

I have to agree with Otter. Using distilled water with an additive would make the system last much longer than using tap. It would seem like quite and endeavor, though, to take on submerging water lines that deep in to the ground. I don't know much about how to set up an evap loop, but I think that if you placed something like a dehumidifier in line on a closed loop(replacing the radiator), that you would find it much easier to build and maintain. I wouldn't mind looking in to something like that too, let me know what you find in your research.

Wow man, 16 computers? I JUST finished my first WU for team 32, heh. Then again, I don't have 16 computers running it all the time.

Seems to me that you should be worrying more about the flow problems you'll have. If you chopped it down to using 4 loops of 4 CPU blocks (if you don't take 2 out) then you can utilize any good water cooling setup recommended on these forums for each of the loops.

I'd really like to see some pics of this farm you have. Personally, I'd try to create a huge wind tunnel with all the components lined up and 2 powerful box fans on each end in push/pull, heh.

pscout said:
I have a folding farm with 16 caseless p4 HT/DC (all OC'ed) rigs on open shelving in a small basement storage room. It has outside ventilation in through a 200 cfm fan.
Winter temps make it an intake. Once outside temps increase, i will switch the fan to exhaust.

I want to put together a cooling system that will let me keep my overclocks and all rigs going all summer without killing me on central air costs.

So I am thinking of a large scale (16 rig) water cooling setup.

I will already have my 920 and soon to arrive 930 on water. Am thinking i will do a bunch of homemade ghetto waterblocks for the other rigs.

I am thinking that a exterior rad/evap system is what i want to design and build. Since global warming seems to be here, i may want to supplement rad cooling with an evap and/or a chiller system.

For a chiller, i have an unused dehumidifier i was thinking would be useful. Am also thinking of using fresh cold water supply (at some trickle rate) that could be used to supply a cold source cheaply. Current cold water supply temps are a little over 40F ... am guessing should stay sub 50 F in summer.

An evap or cold water feed approach would require some kind of heat exchanger so that the cpu loops would be a closed loop, and an open loop for evap/cold water feed.

To economize on electricity, I will probably swap out a few northwoods and prescotts for fewer DC rigs. Currently all is intel and will likely stick with intel for now since it makes my farm management simpler with a fairly homogeneous set of rigs/mobos. I also expect to switch out some for Conroe rigs but likely much later in the year when prices get resonable. Possibly AMD's depending how the race plays out and their folding performance.

I am thinking that during the late spring, summer, early fall, the heat exchange will be outside the house, and i will possibly move it inside in the winter to offset heating costs.

I am just starting my research so any thoughts, links would be muchly appreciated!

if you're rich I have an idea.

16 x Apogee waterblocks
5 x BIX-3
15 x Delta SHEs
Lots of 1/2" Tubing
3 x Iwaki 30MRZ i think, cant remember.

A water cooled farm..... :)

Glasslicker & I have kicked this around a little bit already.

My 1st thoughts on this, would be a push/ pull system of pumps.

Although, with 16 rigs, pumps will be the main concern.
As in how many? :(

I'll attach a pic of my 1st idea, running 2 pumps for 6 rigs.
1 push / 1 pull. Common return, common feed. :cool:

Copper pipe and 1 "Larger" Rad. or possible orther means of heat dissipation.

JoeC has had a couple of articles from people that have used long runs
of copper pipe. Some burried underground, some just laying on the floor
of the garage. (15-30+ft) doesn't seem cost effective though.
Some using small bilge pumps (rated 80+ gallons or so)

Hard to say, what might "be best" for you, without knowing how big of an area
you are looking at putting a system into. Or your farms layout.

But that's Top Secret isn't it? :p

Anyway, here's my pic.

:attn:

Last edited:
In the post above, the water would go through blocks 1 more then any other block, in the picture below, the water would have the same distance through any block. Water does choose the path of least resistance! If you were to setup large pipes and the blocks off them, make sure its got equal distance through all blocks!

Attachments

• pump.JPG
    pump.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,240
It depends on how large those manifolds are. If they were wide enough, they would present almost no restriciton relative to the blocks and you'd get more or less the same flow through each block.

ok here is the problem. i have actualy done this before and the problem i ran into was cost of the pumps. in the end we went with a giant bong about 12 feet high powered by a large pump in a single closed loop.

the blocks where all very simple maze3 blocks . the cost of the setup is more expencive than just regulating the room with its own air conditioner for a year but after that year is when you see savings. for the bong evaparator i wont post much on what it looks like because i might make another one only smaller for myself but you can PM me for a LITTLE bit more info

striker85 said:
Is there a reservoir anywhere in that setup?

Pick a spot, any spot. :)

As far as a "Bong" setup is concerned, the problem with that is
the "evaporation".

How hands free do you want your setup?

Having to go water the "Beast in the basement" every few days
gets old really quick. And bongs are evaporators.

Drawback. :(

Closed loop would be best for minimum maintenance.

Thanks for the update info on the pic. :thup:

LOL !!
so those first few "warm" days we had last week got you scrambling too huh?

my basement went from 62F to 74F soooo fast :eek:

price:
anything x16 gets expensive fast!
(but remember this guy has 16 PC's and pays the power bill to run them 24/7/365... $ cant be THAT sore of a subject ;))

running a "normal" loop (using RADs to cool) defeats the "real" pourpose... since your still putting ALL that heat into the air in your PC room...

im still a fan of geo-thermal cooling (copper pipe "maze" buried under ground)
this will get the heat out of your PC's and you house all @ the same time.

random thoughts:

since you dont really need any better cooling, a simple (and cheep) Maze design WB should do fine...also less restrictive than jet impreg blocks ;)

i wouldnt run more than 4 or 5 WB's in a series...too much restriction and deltaT @ the end of a line of 16x WB.

A bong could be kept full with a float valve. And if you're worried that the valve might stick, set up another float with a simple switch to sound an alarm.

Couldn't he just place a rad/fan box outside the house? A large car radiator with a shroud. He could make a nice little case for it all with baffles so that unnecessary water doesn't get into it.
He could find and old air conditioner and use the rads inside them and use the fan. It would allready be outside safe and it would blend in. Also the last air conditioner i looked at had 3 rads so you could split your loops up easily

200cfm exaust fan during the summer.

Intake during the winter.

I did mention "Geo-thermal" cooling Joe.

It really depends on which way pscout wants to take it.

Are his 16 cpus in a box? Are they scattered about the room?

What plans does he have there? We don't know yet.

Just kicking a few ideas for basement water cooling,
with as little maintenance as possible.

If you have to keep a constant eye on it,
I don't think that is very efficent.

imho.

:attn:

Perium said:
Couldn't he just place a rad/fan box outside the house? A large car radiator with a shroud. He could make a nice little case for it all with baffles so that unnecessary water doesn't get into it.
He could find and old air conditioner and use the rads inside them and use the fan. It would allready be outside safe and it would blend in. Also the last air conditioner i looked at had 3 rads so you could split your loops up easily

yes and no..

consider the fact that he lives in (near) Toronto...
in winter he would have to run anti-freeze (and insulate tubing) and in summer they still get 80F temps...

with underground, he should get a nice even (cool but not cold) water temps

Geo thermal is an excellent method of cooling. The only restrictions on it are that of the person who wants to do it. It is a costly thing to set up. But once you get it running, you save money and nerves. I say, if you don't mind digging up your basement for installing some copper pipe, go for it.

Back