• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i insert water throught a fill port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tvdang7

i just purchased a DD fill port instead of a res. my question is how do i put water into the system? do i need a funnel or soemthing. is the fill port just an end cap to the T-line? or does it actually do something. im a noob.

Most people use it as an end cap and a way to fill through a t-line, but it also can be used with a res if you can put a barb in the fill hole of the res and run a line up to the fillport.

so....when i need to fill i just unhook the tube an fill through there? or is there a hole in the fill port. i need a funnel for this dont i? cuz theres not way i can just make all the water go throught smoothly

Last edited:
tvdang7 said:
is the fill port just an end cap to the T-line?

that's what it was designed for. if you can't pour into it without spilling then use a funnel.

tvdang7 said:
so....when i need to fill i just unhook the tube an fill through there? or is there a hole in the fill port.

i believe the fillport opens up with an allen key, you pour through there (otherwise it would just be an endcap).

fill port is an endcap for the T-Line, i cut a hole in the roof of my case, and installed it there, with my t-line running all the way back down. To fill, take the stopper out of the fillport, grab a clean small funnel, and fill with your coolant of choice :). You dont NEED a fillport, but its handy for not having to get inside a case or even move it to add water every so often.

Um... it is an endcap that can be unscrewed to fill... Doesn't it come with a diagram?

havent received it yet. thanks for the info tho guys. and i take it i turn the computer up side down to drain it?

The easiest way to drain the system is unhook a hose down the line from the pump and turn the pump on just until the pump runs out of water.

thats sounds good i guess ima hav to turn it off right away to keep from damaging it correct? its not sopposed to run dry.

thats sounds good i guess ima hav to turn it off right away to keep from damaging it correct? its not sopposed to run dry.
that is correct. i use this method only on systems that have at least .8 liters of coolant . it goes really quick.

but what i actually recomend is completely removing your cooling system if its easily done .

-aDaM^ said:

that was a great comment. :rolleyes:

Its great to see members with 6 stars making fun of the newer people. It really shows everyone who the more mature person is. :rolleyes:

some people actually flip their computers upside down so they do not have to disconnect any tubes. I do this since it does not creat any mess whatsoever and it really easy to do. However, in my next build (next week- spring break) I will incorporate a drain valve. Fliping your computer upside down is not really a bad idea.

You could look at voigts project if u are interested in incorporating a drain valve. He has designed one that looks very efficient.

nachosyumm said:

Its great to see members with 6 stars making fun of the newer people. It really shows everyone who the more mature person is. :rolleyes:

some people actually flip their computers upside down so they do not have to disconnect any tubes. I do this since it does not creat any mess whatsoever and it really easy to do. However, in my next build (next week- spring break) I will incorporate a drain valve. Fliping your computer upside down is not really a bad idea.

You could look at voigts project if u are interested in incorporating a drain valve. He has designed one that looks very efficient.

thanks man. ill will look around for this voigts guy. a link would be even cooler. thanks.

nachosyumm said:

Im sorry I couldnt help my self, Just seems assbackwards to me. and # of stars is a mere post count, doesnt indicate a level of maturity or authority, unless there green, blue or red :X

Now this is different... being looked for by name!

Here is a link to my current project log: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=449062

If you look down the page, I have pic of my drain valve. A lawnmower repair guy at ACE hardware hooked me up with these two little itty bitty ball valves that are actually lawnmower gas valves. They were only about $4 ea. In my case I needed two ball drain valves in order for it to work well. Most normal cases would only need one. What I did is use a 5/8"OD x 3/8"OD x5/8"OD brass T and put it into a line at the lowest point in the cooling loop. The ball valve uses 1/4"ID 3/8"OD line, so what I did was use a piece of 3/8"ID tubing over the T, then took a piece of 1/4"ID 3/8"OD tubing, put it onto the ball valve, and then slid the 3/8"ID tubing attached to the t over the tubing attached to the ball valve and clamped it down to the valve. I then went to an auto parts store and got a 1/4" vacuum cap to cover the other end of the valve in case it should leak a bit. Hopefully this makes sense.

Having a ball valve at the lowest point in the loop makes draining very easy, and can help from making a mess. Trying to pull off tubing from a pump or whatever inside of the case doesn't work very well.

voigts said:
Now this is different... being looked for by name!

Here is a link to my current project log: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=449062

If you look down the page, I have pic of my drain valve. A lawnmower repair guy at ACE hardware hooked me up with these two little itty bitty ball valves that are actually lawnmower gas valves. They were only about $4 ea. In my case I needed two ball drain valves in order for it to work well. Most normal cases would only need one. What I did is use a 5/8"OD x 3/8"OD x5/8"OD brass T and put it into a line at the lowest point in the cooling loop. The ball valve uses 1/4"ID 3/8"OD line, so what I did was use a piece of 3/8"ID tubing over the T, then took a piece of 1/4"ID 3/8"OD tubing, put it onto the ball valve, and then slid the 3/8"ID tubing attached to the t over the tubing attached to the ball valve and clamped it down to the valve. I then went to an auto parts store and got a 1/4" vacuum cap to cover the other end of the valve in case it should leak a bit. Hopefully this makes sense.

Having a ball valve at the lowest point in the loop makes draining very easy, and can help from making a mess. Trying to pull off tubing from a pump or whatever inside of the case doesn't work very well.

yes, I totally agree. If you can put a drain valve in it will make draining so much easier. Nice job on yours voigts!

here's what I did. I used a brass 'Pitcock' that's used on auto radiators. it had a 1/4" npt end. I grinded it down so it would fit in a 1/2" union(coupler)barb that I cut in half. I soldered it in. then I mounted it at the bottom rear of my case. I'm connecting it with the 1/2" tubing to a Y that is inline at the bottom of my rad. I saw this on some site somewhere. The tube will have constantly have fluid in it...basically it's like having a T-Line but instead it's a drain line.

I'll attach 1/4" tubing to the nipple end and open the valve and drain away..

here's a pic of the drain valve -
wipnewrig%20008.jpg
wipnewrig%20009.jpg

VballCoach said:
yes, I totally agree. If you can put a drain valve in it will make draining so much easier. Nice job on yours voigts!

here's what I did. I used a brass 'Pitcock' that's used on auto radiators. it had a 1/4" npt end. I grinded it down so it would fit in a 1/2" union(coupler)barb that I cut in half. I soldered it in. then I mounted it at the bottom rear of my case. I'm connecting it with the 1/2" tubing to a Y that is inline at the bottom of my rad. I saw this on some site somewhere. The tube will have constantly have fluid in it...basically it's like having a T-Line but instead it's a drain line.

I'll attach 1/4" tubing to the nipple end and open the valve and drain away..

here's a pic of the drain valve -
wipnewrig%20008.jpg
wipnewrig%20009.jpg

Now that is a really clever idea. I have never seen that or even thought of that before. How exaclty did you mount it to your case? I see a black ring on the inside and one on the outside. Are those something that came with the pitcock or something else? Is that pitcock for a specific radiator or just some kind of a general one?

Back