• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water block acrylic crack?! Or i'm just paranoid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wc_rocker

Registered
Guys,

Im new to the scene, I bought a used DD TDX, for like 20 bucks, its good condition, no cracks, just not shiny anymore.

I've heard some cases of waterblock acrylic cracking and blowing up the system. My question is how is this possible? What causes it? Screw too tight? Hot/cold effect?

Thanks.

This happened to me before on a DD TDX, I noticed a crack in the acrylic only because I was using HydrX and it made the crack noticable, it was a very slow leak like 1mL day or something. Im not sure what caused this though. Sometimes its also just scratchs in the acrylic, either way crack in your CPU block is scary :X

Found more crack signs, just hope it doesnt spread. Feels good to hear that Perium.

wc_rocker said:
Found more crack signs, just hope it doesnt spread. Feels good to hear that Perium.

Is there lots of tension on the barbs? Like is the tubing putting lots of force on the barbs? I think thats a possibility of causing cracks arround the barbs.

If I remember right the cracking is from stress, and heating up and cooling down over time. After all plexi wasn't really made for this. If your worried about it tho you can by a brass top for it.

Here's where the minor cracks are found. Crack starting from the outside, not from the barb.

untitled10li.gif

-aDaM^ said:
Is there lots of tension on the barbs? Like is the tubing putting lots of force on the barbs? I think thats a possibility of causing cracks arround the barbs.

I actually dont know as I've bought it from someone. :eh?:

I thought it was lexan not plexi glass.

Confirmed, it's made of lexan.

http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=87&pg=1

Call me crazy but I zip tied around the thing. :cool:

Joe Camel said:
yep :rolleyes:

fashion over function will bight you in the arse every time
Not every time. The acetal topped blocks are beautiful, and they won't crack :D

Personally, I think many manufacturers started using acrylic because it was cheap, easy to machine, and they were trying to cut costs. Unfortunately it just isn't a good material for this purpose no matter how "pretty" it is. Oh, and yes, I've got one too--an NV-68 in my play machine.

MVC said:

Personally, I think many manufacturers started using acrylic because it was cheap, easy to machine, and they were trying to cut costs. Unfortunately it just isn't a good material for this purpose no matter how "pretty" it is. Oh, and yes, I've got one too--an NV-68 in my play machine.

I think derlin is the ultimate material for waterblocks, after having 2 blocks from Cathar both using Derlin..... Just a quality material.

Epox4life said:
I have a DD RBX you guys are scaring me...
Just don't overstress it when you mount it, don't let anything alcohol based get on it, and keep on eye on it to spot any "developing" problems. Many of these blocks work fine for years. If the acrylic was so fragile that it was killing systems right and left no one would still be using it. But, if it's causing you to loose sleep, get an acetal topped Storm block from Swiftech. You won't loose anything performance-wise (should actually gain a little performance) and spending a few dollars for peace of mind can be a good thing :)

MVC said:

Can you give us a link to one? I'd like to see one as for options on what I might go with. No I still havent bought my parts. I'm still researching becuase this time I am going to do it right.

Oper8or said:
Can you give us a link to one? I'd like to see one as for options on what I might go with. No I still havent bought my parts. I'm still researching becuase this time I am going to do it right.
Take your time. There are pros and cons for just about every component you could possibly use. I, like everyone else, have my opinions (and FWIW, I don't always take my own advice). You just need to find the right balance for you. That said, my only real "advice" is to buy from high quality manufacturers--and you'll know when you don't have one when everyone says NO!!!!!

For the CPU you've got a choice of (at least) the Storm and the Apogee from Swiftech (sorry they don't appear to have direct links to the blocks). Personally, I prefer the Storm (but as a disclaimer, I'm also running a silver G5 from Cathar). Both have acetal (aka Delrin--acetal is the generic name for the material, Delrin is the trade name for the material produced by Du Pont(?)) tops. And, for the GPU, the ever reliable Maze 4 from Danger Den. Here's a direct link.

HTH,
Mark

Back